Cross Beak Roo

Asharpegg

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2022
Hi! New chicken mom! Just need some advice. I have four silkies(9weeks old) and 5 variety, golden comet, Isa brown, wellsummer and maybe a RIR(9-10 weeks old). The variety seems to all be hens. I’m still waiting to see how many silkies are Roos. I can only have one roo(in my city) and I’m pretty sure I have more than one Silkie is boy. One of my silkies is presenting cross-beak. He’s a sweetie and definitely a little special. Will I be able to keep him and another? I know he is gonna need special attention because the beak does seem to get worse every day. Just concerned about what the future holds for my flock. Thank you for any advice.

Welcome!
'Special needs' is so right, and definitely shouldn't have any offspring. Some can manage with the right food and water dishes, and some extra food choices, and many are just marginally okay, on the underweight side of health. Hens in particular have difficulties doing well, as egglaying adds the need for even more food per day.
There are threads on this site about cross beaked chickens, do look them up.
And one cockerel will be more than enough this year! Consider having none until you have more experience, and have adult hens to help 'civilize' a cockerel next year.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom