We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Cross beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eddie Scissorbeak, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Eddie Scissorbeak

Eddie Scissorbeak Hatching

Jul 22, 2019
    Hi,

I am new to the forum, and new to having chickens. I recently became the owner of a 1 day old meat hen who has some issues. Not only does he have scissor beak, he is also missing an eye. Because of this, he does not seem to be able to eat on his own. I have been trying to syringe chick started mixed with water but it keeps clogging my syringe. It was suggested to me to add some powdered baby food so I have done this. He was doing really well until today. He seemed very quiet and has some feces, black in color, in cage and stuck to his feathers around his cloaca. I am trying to remove them without getting him wet. I was told to only feed 3 times a day but feel he is getting skinny. I used to feed baby birds and we always fed every 2 hours, shouldn't I do the same for him? Also, any advice on what i can feed him that would be easier to syringe would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to save the little fella life. He was destined for the grinder. 20190719_213457.jpg

2. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Hi there,

Baby chickens should have constant access to fresh food and water, they will eat at all hours of the day and night. If you can crush up the chick feed a bit more, maybe mix it with some water, he should be able to eat on his own, as it will be easier for him to hold on to it and get it into his throat.

To get rid of feathers on his bum, use a cloth dampened with warm water to loosen the feces and then carefully remove them, you can place a bit of vaseline around his cloaca then to help him poop easier. If a chick can't poop for a prolonged period it will kill them.

Good luck on the endeavor you are undertaking, it's very kind of you.

3. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Also, for the scissor beak, if you have a small dremmel you can use it to try and shape his beak to make it more normal. However be careful about going to far because if you hit the nerves and blood supply it's going to be really painful.

4. Eddie Scissorbeak

Jul 22, 2019

5. Eddie Scissorbeak

Jul 22, 2019
    Thanks for the advice. He does have access at all times to water and food in elevated dishes, he just doesn't seem to eat or drink in his own. I am worried about using a dremmel as he is so small.

6. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    You can wait a bit to use the dremmel, but the more you help shape to correct it now, the better chances he has of it not getting too worse later.

Keep in mind however that when he gets older he'll need his food a little mushy and in a deep dish in order for him to be able to continue to eat. I had a hen with cross beak who lived quite awhile before she eventually succumbed to complications of the deformity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: