Cross beak?

MissPeep

Chirping
Mar 17, 2021
Hi all 👋🏻

I purchased four chicks from tractor supply almost two weeks ago and I noticed this morning that one seems to be developing cross beak. Is it normal for it to develop later or is it usually noticeable when they hatch? It doesn’t seem too severe, but I’m not sure if it will continue to get worse. This is my first time raising chicks and my first experience with any kind of issue like this. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• F34ACAE6-6F9C-4585-AABA-16CF481D592B.jpeg
    F34ACAE6-6F9C-4585-AABA-16CF481D592B.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 18
  • 081717FE-780A-4E3D-B646-EBCC35D72B8B.jpeg
    081717FE-780A-4E3D-B646-EBCC35D72B8B.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 13
It is quite common for cross beak to appear as they begin to grow. This one will likely have a pretty significant scissor once finished growing, but there's a lot of simple things you can do to keep them just as healthy and happy as your other babies. We've had a scissor beak Easter Egger for a little over a year now and she's the sweetest little thing. We put her on the side of the feed can in the morning and she goes to town. It's precious. XD

It is quite common for cross beak to appear as they begin to grow. This one will likely have a pretty significant scissor once finished growing, but there's a lot of simple things you can do to keep them just as healthy and happy as your other babies. We've had a scissor beak Easter Egger for a little over a year now and she's the sweetest little thing. We put her on the side of the feed can in the morning and she goes to town. It's precious. XD
Do you have to do anything special to the feed for her? I’ve read that cup drinkers are better for them. She’s been eating and drinking on her own but I’m going to keep a close eye on her.

Dip her beak in the water and see if she can drink by herself later
So far she’s been eating and drinking on her own but I’ll keep a close eye on her. She’s had a rough start but she’s been doing much better since I brought her home.

So far she’s been eating and drinking on her own but I’ll keep a close eye on her. She’s had a rough start but she’s been doing much better since I brought her home.
She's able to eat the same food as the others, but containing it in something deep makes it easier on her. If she's not in the feed can she has her own big cup that she eats from. The other girls don't try to take it from her so it works beautifully.
With water the deeper the better. Ours didn't really go for the cup style waterers we picked up but she loves a big metal washtub style waterer that is by our blueberry bushes. (Grabbed a shot of one just like it off the web). I don't know what about it appealed to her, but hey, it works great. I just keep it tilted a little to the side so it's not too tall for her and full to the top.
1616532760031.png

Back
Top Bottom