1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cross beaked chick... can I trim it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grinningranny, Nov 6, 2013.

1. grinningranny

grinningranny Out Of The Brooder

We have our very first chicks that were hatched by our "special needs" BO 5 weeks ago. My favorite... spunky, smart, bold and adventurous, has a very crossed beak. The bottom beak goes to the right and the top beak goes to the left. What I'm wondering is what is the remedy for this? Would it hurt it to trim the beaks to match them up? It looks like the top beak is starting to curl down, and I'm afraid if there is no intervention this little cutie will have a real problem as it gets older. I've thought about "putting it down" but can't bring myself to do that,,,it's just so darn bright.

I had a blue and gold McCaw years ago that had to have "braces" for the same problem, but there's no way I could do that on a little chick.

Has anyone had experience with this?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes as a matter of fact I trim my cross beak birds beak every month or so .it helps keep the cross beak in check in my opinion.i simply use nail trimmers.do small portions at a time. Once I cut too far and she bled. I felt so badly but she was just fine. So small increments are The best. Hope this helps best wishes

3. grinningranny

grinningranny Out Of The Brooder

Thank you so much, Realsis, that helps tremendously.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by