Cross beaked chick with poor respitory health

jbake

Chirping
6 Years
May 19, 2013
Please help me I have recently aquired a cross beaked chick and he's now about a month old he's a americauna or Easter egger. Just starting this month and now going into fall and winter he's gotten really nasally sounding and very sneezing like he needs to blow his nose. I've been giving him vitamins everyday and mush food that's watered down but not ever any water I guess maybe push the fluids like humans should to thin out the snot? Idk what to do he's eating really good though.

I can post a few pictures. He does eat on his own as long as the food bowl is deep and its the right consistency. No mucous from the nose or eyes but when he sneezes sometimes it flies out.
He eats on his own so long as the bowl is deep and the food is the right consistency. I've had him for almost a month now and he was only a week or is old when I got him. No mucous from the nose or mouth or eyes except when he sneezes sometimes fluid comes out. I will post some pics.

I gave him a syringe and a half of vitamins, electrolytes, and oregano oil. I hope he pulls through I never noticed how bad it got because he's constantly moving and peeping but its when he's not and i lay down with him I hear him wheezing and the chest rattling.
Aww...poor sweet little thing:hugs
He does have quite a severe cross beak.

In the photo, does he get food stuck in the corner?
He may be aspirating food/water when eating. Do you notice if he fills his crop and then that is empty in the morning before he eat/drinks?

He may have a respiratory illness, but I think it may be more related to his beak being the way it is. Sometimes birds that have this deformity also have other genetic or developmental deformities and they eventually fail to thrive.

upload_2018-10-26_9-36-7.png

Please help me I have recently aquired a cross beaked chick and he's now about a month old he's a americauna or Easter egger. Just starting this month and now going into fall and winter he's gotten really nasally sounding and very sneezing like he needs to blow his nose. I've been giving him vitamins everyday and mush food that's watered down but not ever any water I guess maybe push the fluids like humans should to thin out the snot? Idk what to do he's eating really good though.
Can you post some photos?

Are you tubing/syringing the wet feed or can it eat on it's own?
Does the chick have mucous coming from the nostrils?
How long have you had him?

I notice he mostly gets it stuck on the top part then takes his toes and scratches it out. He's constantly hungry and eats alot for a baby I would think. But yes if I feed him a full crop at night in the morning he wakes up crying because he's hungry. Yeah I thought about him aspirating his food because he eats so fast and ravenous like its the first meal he's had in weeks.
It sounds like he may need some help with eating too?
How often does he eat, can you leave some wet mash for him to eat during the day?

I can post a few pictures. He does eat on his own as long as the food bowl is deep and its the right consistency. No mucous from the nose or eyes but when he sneezes sometimes it flies out.

He eats on his own so long as the bowl is deep and the food is the right consistency. I've had him for almost a month now and he was only a week or is old when I got him. No mucous from the nose or mouth or eyes except when he sneezes sometimes fluid comes out. I will post some pics.

Looks to be an EE pullet with a severe cross beak. Is the mush you make more soupy than oatmeal consistency? I'm thinking it's getting liquid going down the wrong pipe as it eats. Just guessing here ... Those tagged will be able to help you better.

Back
Top Bottom