Cross beaked quail should I be concerned

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jumpyquail, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Jumpyquail

Jumpyquail New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    My quail has a beak that is crossed to the side is that a problem? Is there a way to fix it.

2. mckeesbackyard

mckeesbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    White Mountains, AZ
    I have a female that's like that--she gets picked on so she's by herself . I appreciate the egg she gives me almost everyday but I wouldn't use her for breeding. I also noticed she's somewhat smaller the the other females of the same age.

3. Jumpyquail

Jumpyquail New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    I love the fact you did not cull your quail for that problem. My quai get along fine she is a bit bulkier than her sister though she is the one on the right
    .[​IMG]

4. mckeesbackyard

mckeesbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    White Mountains, AZ
    My bird's beak seems worse than yours (will try to post a photo tomorrow). At first, I worried that it couldn't eat. I think it affected because she is smaller, started laying later & she would peck me when I'd reach into her cage. I've only been doing poultry for a few months but I'm unpleasantly surprised to find that chicken and especially quail can be cruel to a "different-looking" bird. My poor girl was picked on from the get-go (a bloody mess) and my sole Jumbo Brown was being bullied by the A&M's. I learned quick to allot extra compartments in our quail condo as sick/time-out bay.

5. Jumpyquail

Jumpyquail New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Well at least the quail is safe and happy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by