Cross bred chick and future fertility- A question!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aacre, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Aacre

Aacre Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but it does concern my 2 week old chicks that I've hatched out myself. Mods, feel free to move this, if you feel this belongs somewhere else. [​IMG]
    I happened upon a blog this morning that said that crossbred chickens are infertile. I don't know if they were just talking about their own crossbreds being infertile, or if they were stating that all crossbreds are infertile. I am pretty certain that crossbreeds are NOT infertile. I have mutts of my own who now have their own offspring. So I know that at least my current adult mutts are fertile, now I'm a little concerned that maybe some of my chicks aren't? My rooster is a mixed breed and I bred him to some silver laced wyandottes- so I am not concerned with the wyandotte mixes since they wyandottes came from a hatchery. But I have another hen that is my rooster's favorite, I often times call the pair married, as they are almost inseparable. I have hatched out their own little love child, and I am wondering if since they are both mutts (practically brother and sister, they were hatch-mates from the same litter I believe), if that could mean that the chick I hatched out could be infertile because of the extreme mixture?
    Any ideas or thoughts on this? I actually prefer having mixed breeds and so this would make for an interesting topic for others who also have and love their mixed breed chickens. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Did they mean hybrid instead? Obviously as you've experienced, crossbreds are fertile. Your hens wouldn't be laying if they were sterile.

3. Aacre

They stated cross bred, but maybe they were referring to hybrids? I guess I never thought of chickens being born infertile- not because of their heritage, at least. What is the difference between a cross bred and a hybrid? Thanks for setting me straight! [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In chickens? None really.

Some specific crosses are called hybrids by the poultry industry. It's just nomenclature that's all. [​IMG]

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Crossbred= single species. EEs, and sexlinks are crossbreds. They are fertile.
    Hybrid= different species. Mule= horse+ donkey. They are sterile 99% of the time.

It is nomenclature and how we are used to using the words but they do have correct uses. Kindof like calling EEs Ameraucanas. We know what we're talking about but one is more correct.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I think I might know what thread you are referring to. Someone had crossed a Golden Pheasant with a chicken and a lengthy discussion ensued about the progeny being infertile. Does that ring a bell or am I out in left field?

7. Aacre

Thank you! This has cleared things up for me! I thought I knew what was what, but then I freaked out thinking I didn't know something about the differences. [​IMG][​IMG]

Actually, I read about this on an unrelated blog, BUT I'd be interested in reading that thread! Pheasants can breed with a chicken?! [​IMG]

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oops, I was wrong - it was a melanistic pheasant, not a golden. And I don't know how to post a link (hey, I'm a nice lady, just not the brightest crayon in the box) but you can find it by doing a search in the Pheasant/Chucker forum. You should be able to use the search terms "pheasant chicken hybrid" I think.

9. Aacre

haha! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I should be able to figure it out from the info you've given me. [​IMG]

10. uphilljill

uphilljill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Southern Adirondacks, NY
    Offspring of a guinea/chicken cross are also said to be infertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by