Cross breed chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pattycake, Dec 8, 2007.

1. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Anyone have pics of interesting crosses? I have a variety of hens and a Buff Orpington rooster, and I'm kind of wondering what the chicks might be like if we decide to have any.

Anyone have a Delaware/Buff orp cross? Or a Black Jersey Giant cross?

Or any other pretty pics we can look at? [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a RIR/Buff Orp cross named Meg. The sire was RIR, though. Here she is, flaming redhead, very large Orp-like body and white legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only other crosses I have are three girls whose mothers were Barred Rocks with a Cochin/Silkie cross dad, but they sure won't look anything like what you'd get from your Buff Orp rooster, LOL.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I've got a ton of mutts but their dad was a white leghorn. They are all white like
    him.

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Speckled Hen: Meg has that cute RIR face that my RIRs have. I love them! I don't know how broody RIRs get, but I sure wouldn't mind a BO/RIR cross...

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have 4 bantam Cochin x bantam Cornish crosses. They look more like their Cornish dad, but are petite like their half-breed mom. Then I have what was sold to me as a standard Cornish roo, but his comb isn't right, and he's not at all meaty like he should be, so I'm pretty sure he's a cross, too. My frizzle cochin is half-Silkie, but she looks like she's all Cochin, except for the tail, which isn't right at all, and the last one is a BLRW x F1 Showgirl cross that came out absolutely gorgeous. She's got the Wyandotte body and comb, but extra toes like a silkie with pale splash coloring.

6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    [​IMG]

The top right roo is my boss roo,Papa. He is a RIR/Buff Orp cross.

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    These won't help you with your mix, but these are two of my three buff silkie/americauna mixes. The third looks identical to his sister, Mabel. Mabel was about 10wks in her pic, Womy was about 15wks in his.

Womy (don't ask.. 3yo named him [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

Mabel
    [​IMG]

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

My Buff Orp roo is very prolific [​IMG] here are some of his kids:

[​IMG]
    The one in front -Nekoda-is Orp/Barred Rock (making her a sex-link) the one in back -Nora- is Orp/Black Giant

[​IMG]
    Nora, Orp/Giant

[​IMG]
    Nekoda, Orp/Barred Rock

[​IMG]
    Leif is Orp/Barred Rock (sex-link)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cammi here is Orp/Golden Comet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oscar was Orp/RIR

[​IMG]
    Pumpkin is Orp/???

[​IMG]
    Pi is Orp/???

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  9. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    cool pics,I have 10 chicks that are BO X RIR and BO X RSL,hope they turn out as nice as yours

10. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    [​IMG] Ella your pics are beautiful. What kind of camera are you using if you don't mind me asking?

PS Are your chickens really that big or is it an illusion of the camera? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by