Cross breed Jersey Giant and Russian Orloff

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shinniemay, Jan 12, 2015.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    WOW! He's a beauty!

1 person likes this.
  2. WYNot

WYNot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Casstown, OH
    Wow. I'm loving the bird in the first two pictures. He'd look really good in the yard with my RIRs from TSC. :D

Guessing that pic 3 is his father?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey, I saw him first. With that look and body type, just imagine crossing him on some game hens. [​IMG]

4. shinniemay

shinniemay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    The first two pics are of "Black hawk" my grandson named him. The next two pics are ma and pa chickens. I'm not in the habit of crossing breeds, but it sometimes happens when a hen gets broody and the lazy hens sneak a few eggs under her. He has to be the prettiest cross I've seen come out of my flocks. I haven't seen one like him before. Have you?

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Black Hawk" is a perfect name for him. A perfect combination of the best from both parents - coloring from his sire, and conformation, comb and beard from the hen. Were there any pullets from this cross? I would have to set a batch of eggs from a repeat mating just to see what I would get.

6. shinniemay

Jul 8, 2013
    No, this is the only Orloff in the clutch, there was one cross with a Americana and Two with a Lavender Orp. One roo, one hen. I kept the hen. If I have time this spring, I may shack them up to see if I can a few cross hens. It would be fun to see what I get.

7. shinniemay

Jul 8, 2013
    I had got some Welsummer & Java eggs from a trade, the brooder let some of the other hens lay in her nest. Thats how I got these. Hes quite hansom.

8. WYNot

WYNot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Casstown, OH
    A shame you didn't get more like him. He's a beaut. I'd seriously consider defying the wife's rooster ban for one like that. ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. shinniemay

Jul 8, 2013
    Well I'll tell you "accidents happen" and we can end up with fascinating cross breeds! Let me know if it happens, I would love to see what you get!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by