Cross breed or pure bread RiR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KBHatchery, Oct 24, 2013.

1. KBHatchery

KBHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Ok , so we made a irrigation system using concrete and pipes, easy clean easy drain. but one thing that was not accounted for was the space in between the door and the irrigation... turns out it was big enough for the hens to creep under the door through the irrigation and into their neighboring runs..... RiRs were in with pearl white leghorns... and White leghorns in with RiRs. so I noticed that some of the whites that I had hatched had traits or RiRs.. black spots on head and darker beaks... Sold them to neighbors and hatch more chicks. This time it was a batch of RiR eggs... now some of the RiRs look to have traits of Pearl White Leghorns (maybe) I need help from experienced RiR breeders... Below are some pics of a RiR chick that I think is a cross breed... I want to keep it to see if they have the egg ability of the Pearl White Leghorn but the heartiness of the RiR. (That would be so cool!!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

No offense.... I would keep them for the color XD so cool!

3. KBHatchery

Feb 19, 2013
    Monroe, North Carolina
    No offence taken, i love the color too. It would just be great if they have the better traits of both breeds.

4. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

I agree. Having that color. ... the laying of the leghorn... the built of the rir... you got yourself a moneymaker if you sell them ;)

5. KBHatchery

Feb 19, 2013
    Monroe, North Carolina
    i guess i will have to see when it gets its full feathers if it will be a cross breed. I also like how the feathers around the neck looks like that of a barred rock... Pattern wise. But if it is a male idk how to go about breeding to keep this breed going.. Do i mate him with a pearl female? Or do i mate him with RiR.. I think it would breed out the pearl if i put him with a RiR hen... Are there any experienced breeders or cross breeders here on BYC?

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Leghorns and RIRs are both resistant to Mareks. Crosses are usually more vigorous so they should be nice and healthy.

If the RIRs were a Standard(heritage) breed, then you should have something like the production reds from hatcheries. Keep them and let us know how the hens lay.

7. KBHatchery

Feb 19, 2013
    Monroe, North Carolina
    will do:) and all adults we have came from Murray McMurry hatchery. All beautiful and pure breeds . Im excited now about how these guys are gonna turn out :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by