Cross breed - photos - updated

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gooter, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Gooter

Gooter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    central VA
    Several weeks ago I posted some pix of newly hatched chicks that were x-breeds. I posted because I thought it might be useful to someone else to see what would come of these particular crosses. Here are some updated pictures of what I have ended up with, and a 'refresher' of where they started. It's been very interesting to me to see what I would get. I was crossing for egg-laying and also for meat.

My crosses were 2: my sexlink roo crossed with silver lace wyandotte; and the other cross was welsummer crossed with a favorelle roo.

Here's my sexlink roo so you see what he contributes:
    [​IMG]

And here is his one chick that hatched crossed with the SLW - it's the light one in the front:
    [​IMG]

Here he is (I think it's a roo, unfortunately...cuz I wanted some layers) at about 6 weeks:
    [​IMG]

Here is the one Welsummer/Favorelle roo that hatched at day old... It's the dark one in the back, and also is shown in the above photo with the SLW chick in front.
    [​IMG]

Here he is @ 6 weeks. He is getting black feathers on his underside/breast the past couple days.
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the two pullets from the clutch; Welsummer/Favorelle cross:
    [​IMG]

And here are the 2 pullets @ 6 weeks... They look like little bald eagles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All of the Favorelle cross chicks have the 5 toes, and the pullets have that nice fluffy thick feathering from him also. I suppose they'll have the breed's light color, but do hope that they will lay slightly bigger eggs than the breed usually lays. The Fav cross rooster is tall and lanky. I'll eat him, and the SLW cross roo as well. Still hoping by some stroke of magic that SLW chick will turn into a pullet for me. I'll do that cross again and try for some more pullets, but in no rush. I won't use my Fav with the Welsummer again. But I thought the photos might be interesting to at least a few. These chicks are incredibly robust and growing nicely!

2. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    You have such a beutiful roo! [​IMG]

3. Gooter

Gooter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    central VA
    Thank you! He's a very special roo to me. When I rescued him he was bright pink - naked as could be - from the hens eating all his feathers at his other 'home.' I always knew he was a handsome boy and I rescued him because he's an outstanding roo, looking after his girls like the very best and being very respectful to me. He's also very good with little chicks. He's a keeper! Quiet too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by