Cross breed questions.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cliff4504, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Cliff4504

Cliff4504 In the Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    My current flock consists of

1 Golden laced polish Rooster.
    2 Silver leghorn hens
    3 Easter egger hens
    1 Dominique hen
    1 Phoenix hen
    2 Red game hens
    1 Golden laced Wyandotte
    2 Lakenvelders
    2 Egyptian Fayoumis

I want to hatch 4 or 5 eggs and I'm having trouble deciding which way to go. Reading about genetics and how traits are passed confused me more than anything. I tried the chicken calculator but it was in Chinese for some reason. Does anyone with cross breeding experience have any suggestions for which combination would make a cool looking bird? I'm trying to avoid that "chicken got hit by a truck" look that some cross bred chickens have.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I avoided responding to this thread earlier, because while I've crossed Golden Polish roosters with some other breeds, I've never done it with any on your list. However it seems that maybe no one else has either. Perhaps the most beautiful chickens I ever had were Golden Polish X Black Silkie crosses. They were gorgeous birds and very sweet tempered. I'm just speculating a bit here, but I would think that your Golden Polish rooster X your Golden Laced Wyandotte hen would have some very attractive offspring. Crossing your GP roo with the Dominique hen might make for some attractive offspring as well. Good luck with your crosses.

3. Cliff4504

Cliff4504 In the Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Thanks for responding. I was thinking the wyandotte also because of the almost identical color pattern. Some people who have been to my house have assumed that she is the same breed as my rooster.

I guess that I could just experiment, and if I'm not happy with the results,...make soup.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Why not? Sounds like a good plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by