cross breeding a black sex link roo w/?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mispollitos, Jan 20, 2011.

1. mispollitos

mispollitos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    I have a black sex link roo and will possibly buy a hen to cross with it so I can get some laying hens. I cannot believe how difficult it is to find laying hens in Mexico!

Will they come out a sex link?

May be crossed with a rhode island red type or another black sex link hen.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    No, you have to have a non barred roo to make Black Sexlinks.

Crossing your roos with Barred hens will give: 25% roos that are dark Het. Barred like your roo, 25% light Homo Barred roos( like a pure BR), 25% Barred hens, 25% Black(nonbarred) hens.

Crossing him with non barred hens will give half barred and half non barred of both sexes, ( The males that are barred will be dark Het. Barred like your roo)

I sure hope you are able to find some adult hens this time and not have to go through the same deal with these last roos you bought, if you can find some and if you can take pics before you buy them, post them on here and let us confirm it for you, and then go back and by them. And dont try to hold on to false hope again if you do have obvious roos again like the last ones.

3. mispollitos

Sep 30, 2010
    haha Thank you!

4. mispollitos

Sep 30, 2010
    what does dark Het. stand for?

how do you tell them apart? Can you tell as chicks if they're hen or roo?

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Het. Stands for Heterozygous meaning one copy, they have one copy of barring like hens. A trained eye like me and a few others here can tell Homozygous barred cockerels from pullets at day old but the Heterozygous roos will look just like the pullets.

Here is the difference in pure Barred Rocks.

these are pure Homozygous Cockerels.
    [​IMG]

And these are pullets ( females can only be Heterozygous)
    [​IMG]

6. mispollitos

Sep 30, 2010
    ok, after thinking this over for a couple of days, it is finally registering. Is it possible that my ckicks were Het? Black sex link crossed w/another barred hen? And, if so, will the hens be barred similar to the roos when full grown? My lonely roo is still acting very much like a hen...no cockle doodle doos. Almost 19-20 weeks, very shy and growing at 1/2 the rate as the other roosters we ate this week. Yikes, it'll make them very difficult to tell apart until they are months old, [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm about to buy a hen for them to have chicks with. Then, I'll have more questions like...how do you keep the future chick eggs separate from the ones you want to eat? Our nesting box has two sitting area but i understand they like to lay eggs in the same box.

[​IMG]

7. mispollitos

Sep 30, 2010
    Crossing him with non barred hens will give half barred and half non barred of both sexes, ( The males that are barred will be dark Het. Barred like your roo)

the seller kept saying the hen was rir...this too would mean they'd be impossible to see if they're hen or roo until older. both sexes had 50% of being barred. Yes, i'm repeating a lot of what was stated and it is sinking in. Oh well, I got roos. I can see my lonely roo has saddle feathers. So, I have no fear that if I buy a laying hen, he will perform?​

8. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    I'm sure if u get a hen he'll step up to the plate. In my experience I've had a couple that took a little while to figure it out but they've always figured it out [​IMG] good luck!!

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes, your batch of roosters were all definitly Hets. and if we dont know for sure what he was crossed with, theres really no way to know that he is a sexlink becuase he could just as easily be from a Barred Rock roo on RIR hens or anything like that, they would all be the same color. But dont worry, when you get a little more experience and actually have both sexes that you can compare, it is much easier to sex them and you wont have to wait until they are grown to tell them apart, within a month or so they will start having differences in combes and you can see then.

And as far as hatching eggs and eating eggs, just collect the eating eggs and refridgerate them or collect them and store them to go in the incubator if you have one or if you have the right hen, leave them in the nest a while and see if she goes broody but that depends from hen to hen and not all hens will set. If you have multiple hens then you should probably separate the broody while she is setting and brooding the chicks. And they do like to lay in the nest that another one has laid in already so pulling fake eggs in all of the nests will make them less likely to try to all lay in the same nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by