Cross breeding possible ??

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, May 28, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    I have a Male Mourning Dove. While I was looking at all the animals at the new pet store by my house, I saw they have white doves. I have had white doves before, but an idea popped in my little mind... CAN I CROSS BREED !!!!!!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Not sure but would be cool to find out

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I will have to look it up later, but most types of doves will not interbreed because of diffrent courting practices. Seine did a study and charted if a baby was produced and if it was deformed or could reproduce. Look it up on google "dove hybrid"

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yes - the babies will be mules.

5. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Oh...the Male mourning dove is mature now...he coos non stop now...I like it [​IMG]

6. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Its still possible they can breed. In the wild animals learn things like courting dances and rituals from watching other birds. When raised in captivity things like this don't just click in their mind like other instincts but the "urge" so to speak will cause the male to try and perform anyway. It's how we get ligers and tigons. There would never be one in the wild because if lions and tigers met in the wild their courting rituals are so drastically different that they could never successfully mate, thats why you only see hybrids like that in captivity

7. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It would be hard for a lion and tiger to cross in the wild since they do overlap in ranges. The closest would be the Asiatic Lion from India- but they are only found in the Gir Forest region, which is north of the tigers region.

8. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Quote:It would be hard for a lion and tiger to cross in the wild since they do overlap in ranges. The closest would be the Asiatic Lion from India- but they are only found in the Gir Forest region, which is north of the tigers region.

I know there are places where lions and tigers overlap, which is why I said if they met in the wild their courting rituals are too diferent to succeed. Your post didn't make much sense. [​IMG]

9. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for the info, I am always trying to learn more. Where are the areas that lions and tigers ranges overlap??

10. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Well the white doves at pet shops are just a different color phase of the ring neck dove. Some pet shops even market the ring neck doves (regular colored ones) as morning doves. So they may actually be the same species..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by