Cross Breeding Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Country Gal, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I have 13 hens and 2 roosters and I'm planning on hatching some of their eggs in the spring.

For hens, I have SLW, BO, and Light Brahmas
    For Roosters, I have a BO and something I haven't identified yet - maybe a OEGB or an EE? I'm leaning towards OEGB for the time being...

What kind of crosses do you think I'll get? I'd really love the see a SLW/BO mix... would that be a BuffLW? And would the BO/LB mix be a buff brahma?

Thanks for any input you have!

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Sounds fun but it boils back down to the BB/bb recessive and dominant genes. You know whether one is homozygous vs. hetrozygous. When you do keep us posted daily at least so all can see the process. Many are interested in the genotypes of the birds. Here is a previous link that you might find interesting or else blown out of your mind. Have a great day!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15794

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    But I gotta say this too....I would love to see a buff brahma or a silver laced buff. Those would be way kewl!

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

You will get sex-linked chicks from the BO rooster with the SLW, and possibly also with the Light Brahma. Female chicks will be colored more like their father, males like the mother. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by