Cross breeding question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sylverfly, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Does anyone have any pics of EE and RIR crosses or Red Sexlink and RIR crosses, I found a large stash of eggs outside and decided to see if they’d hatch. So they’re in the incubator they probably won’t hatch but if they do I’d like to see what they’d look like. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Please post pictures of the EEs and I will give it a try.

Tim

3. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    The EE is the roo heres a pic of him

[​IMG]

4. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Sylverfly,

The male appears to be a golden duck wing color.

The Rhode island red cross will produce offspring that that are columbian red and columbian silver.

The female offspring will look similar to the rhode island red females but have some black stippling on their backs and some black in the hackles. The red males will look similar to rhode island red males with some black in the hackles and some black feathers on the breast. Both males and females will have more black in their tails and wings than the rhode island red.

The silver columbian females will look similar to a light sussex or a light brahma. They will have some red on their backs, shoulders and wings. The amount of red will vary could have a solid red back or patches of red. The silver males will look like a light sussex or light brahma also. They will have black feathers on their breast and some on their backs. Some of the males will develop some red and straw coloring like in the father.

All of the offspring will have green legs or half green legs/ half yellow legs and a wierd looking comb, something in between a pea and a single comb. They could all have muffs and breads or you could get half muffs and beards and half clean faced. The females will lay brown and or green eggs, it depends on the genes carried by the EE.

Tim

5. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Wow! Very informative, thanks for the information.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Wow, Tim! You should write a book. That was good!

7. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, Tim! You should write a book. That was good!

Tim is writing a book.[​IMG]

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I know, that is why posted that! LOL I was being silly but it helps others to know about it as well.

9. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I know, that is why posted that! LOL

Sorry, I was obtuse.[​IMG]

10. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Sorry, I was obtuse.[​IMG]

Krys,

That is a new angle on things.

Nadine

Thank you for the compliment. I need to get off this board and get to work writing. Actually this board helps me to understand the needs of breeders. You have knowledgeable people, people with some genetic knowledge and others that do not have any knowledge. The key to doing a good job in writing the book is to reach each of the groups.

Tim

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by