Cross breeding RIR Roster and BR hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by I*Eat*Chickens*Yum, Jul 25, 2008.

1. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone have any pics of the chickens from cross breeding RIR with BR's ? Thanks !

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's called a black sexlink. The males will have a white spot on their heads at hatch. The pullets will be black with brown/gold on their chests and the males will look like a badly barred Barred Rock, maybe with a greenish tail feather.

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Cynthia,

Great work answering that one. I see you continue to be a student of chicken genetics. Adam sent me a PM and I believe he can accomplish his project in a few years.

Tim

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. speckledhen

Thanks, Tim! Yep, told Adam you were the go-to guy. We appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help us out on all the genetics questions.

5. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow that was quick and easy. I am definitely going to raise some of those. I have a RIR Roo and Barred Rock Hens. Thanks !!

6. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Does it have to be a RIR rooser and a BR hen or can it be the other way around? We have both combinations but we are thinking of getting rid of our RIR rooster because he's such a jerk!

7. speckledhen

It cannot be the other way around. The BR has to be the hen-she passes barring to her sons. If the BR was the rooster, all chicks would be barred and not sexlinked.

8. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm a newbie at chicken breeding. My friend gave be some banties last summer. I thought they were all related. Can brothers and sisters mate? Also I am getting some silkies in a month. Will thay mate with my other banties? [​IMG] rughooker

9. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I guess we will think twice about getting rid of our RIR rooster then.

10. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    One more question... How do you breed a red sezxlink? And is this basically the same as the Red Stars that you see some hatcheries selling?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by