Cross Breeding

I have 4 ducks, 2 pekin & 2 rouen. I ended up with 3 males and one rouen female. My rouen male has no interest in the female, but the 2 male pekin are on her all the time. And just this week she started laying eggs. I have 3 eggs so far, but see has no interest in brooding. I have read some articles that say she needs to be satisfied with her clutch before she will brood or it could be completely bred out of her. I hope that some are fertilized so that I can see what these lil duckies would look like.

Welcome to BYC!!

Please get more females 3-4 are the right ratio per drake. If your female is laying and being bred constantly by the drakes she may not even give it a try even if she didn't have the broodiness bred out, some still have it.

Welcome to BYC!!

Please get more females 3-4 are the right ratio per drake. If your female is laying and being bred constantly by the drakes she may not even give it a try even if she didn't have the broodiness bred out, some still have it.

Thank you!! I had purchased them at Family Farm and Home and thought that we had 2 and 2 but not the case. I know I need more females, where could I get just a couple females from?? I live in Ohio

Thank you!! I had purchased them at Family Farm and Home and thought that we had 2 and 2 but not the case. I know I need more females, where could I get just a couple females from?? I live in Ohio

Craigslist is a good place to start. I see lots of ducks for sale there - just make sure you quarantine them for a couple weeks and then pen them where new ducks and your current ducks can see each other but not touch so they can get used to each other.

I live in Ohio, too, btw!

Craigslist is a good place to start. I see lots of ducks for sale there - just make sure you quarantine them for a couple weeks and then pen them where new ducks and your current ducks can see each other but not touch so they can get used to each other.

I live in Ohio, too, btw!

Oh that is great!! Thank you!! Right now the males are rather aggressive towards the two orphaned Mallards. When they come up to eat they chase the mallards away. These are pictures of the orphans

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170714-210550.png
    Screenshot_20170714-210550.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Snapchat-1592959811.jpg
    Snapchat-1592959811.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom