Cross breeds and fertility

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rollingranch, May 30, 2010.

1. rollingranch

rollingranch New Egg

May 30, 2010
    Can a cross bred rooster and/or hen produce fertile eggs? Thanks!

2. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Most definitely. And usually more then their purebred counter part

3. rollingranch

rollingranch New Egg

May 30, 2010
    Thanks! So what's different about sex-links?

4. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wish I could help you there. I am new to chickens too. Especially to the enetics. Only two years under my chicken feathered belt. I stick to what i know. I am sure someone will tell you. Wish I could. lolol

5. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Nothing is different about sex-links as far as being able to reproduce. They will reproduce, but because they are hybrids, they won't necessarily reproduce themselves. In others words, a Red Star roo and a Red Star hen won't produce Red Star chicks. They might have characteristics of any of the constituent breeds that produce the Red Star, or they may actually look like Red Stars, or combinations of all of the above. When people say sex-links can't reproduce, what they mean is a sex-link is not a breed that can reliably reproduce itself by mating with its own kind like two barred rocks can, for instance. They are essentially mutts like any other crossbreed, but they have been bred for the specific male and female color and marking characteristics that allow you tell their sex by those colors and markings.

UGCM

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  6. rollingranch

rollingranch New Egg

May 30, 2010
    Thanks again! That was very helpful.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I find breeding cross-breeds fascinating as you get a wide variety of chickens with mixed characteristics. No good for the purists, but your breakfast will taste just a good from a 'mongrel'!
    Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by