Cross-country move preparations

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Theda's Mom, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    I haven't posted here in ages, but then again, I haven't had my beloved hens with me in ages too. (Long story.) That's about to change. I'm finally in a position to retrieve them from NH and bring them down to join me in west TN. I'll be picking them up this weekend (along with my tractor and tiller, hallelujah). There are only five now, plus a runty silky rooster. The girls will travel in large screen cage, the rooster in a smaller one, both in the bed of my truck. Both cages are quipped with shading fabric on the top with extra to bring down the sides. I'll also have a tarp with me in case we meet rain. My plan is to drive straight through, with stops to water, feed, listen to the white cochin complain, etc.

Unless someone suggests something different, my plan is to keep the girls (and Chuckie) well supplied with regular feed and water supplemented with goodies like seedless grapes, chunks of melon, heads of lettuce, yogurt (plain unsweetened, I assume), and whatever fresh fruit/berries I can grab. My biggest concern is heat, and I hope by keeping lots of fresh and juicy produce in front of them, that I can keep them well hydrated. I'm also thinking about putting one of their nesting boxes in the cage with them (the nest boxes are Rubbermaid storage containers w/o lids and with a large "U" cut out of one of the short ends).

Does all this sound like a reasonable plan? According to google maps, the trip should take 21 hours door to door, and the girls have a glorious run and coop waiting for their arrival.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Sounds good to me.

If the weather is really hot, you can buy a block of ice (or freeze milk jugs of water) and secure those right next to the pens. Air around the ice will be cooler and the wind will blow it around and into the cage. Not as good as air conditioning, but better than nothing.

3. Theda's Mom

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    Good idea! Thanks! I have several empty 1/2 gallon milk jugs that would be perfect for that purpose.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Wow!! Must be neat to get them back I bet your excited. Guess I read it right when was the last time you saw them?

5. Theda's Mom

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    I am excited! It's been almost two years since I lived with my girls and I've missed them terribly, especially the oldest two: Alexandria, a barred rock who is the self-proclaimed queen of the world, and Acadia, a chatty-cathy of a white Cochin who loves to be cuddled. I didn't have enough time to develop similar bonds with the other three, but that will happen. [​IMG]

Come spring, I'll probably add a few more girls to the group. A person can never have too many hens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by