Cross country peafowl eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keystonepaul, May 14, 2009.

1. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Is it worth buying peafowl eggs from west coast if you live on the east coast or should your really look for some closer? Is the risk of them being ruined slightly higher or exponentially. Thanks, Keystonepaul

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Paul I had such rotten luck shipping and recieving eggs for years that I just don`t do it anymore. Having said that, I don`t see why eggs comming from the west coast would, or could, be less hatchable than eggs comming from the next state. It`s not the airplane ride that does them in, it`s the handling. Unless the eggs you want are very rare, I would look closer to home, like within driving distance. There has to be a peafowl forum somewhere that could connect you with a breeder within a days round trip, or nearly that. Good luck.......Pop

Edited to include the following;

Try to get chicks, if you can`t get eggs close by. Chicks are a far better value, especially with hatching eggs costing almost as much and the hatching liabilities. At least they start out alive and hatching them is not in question.

Last edited: May 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by