Cross country travelling, cat food, and death.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cindiloohoo, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I picked a guy up today who was travelling from Maryland to Mississippi. He WAS NOT hitchhiking, just walking with a pack on his back. My mom is mad at me [​IMG] She thinks I'm going to get hurt picking up strangers, but ya know....I just don't care if I do. I'm of the mind set that IF that happens, it will happen whether or not I voluntarily pick someone up or someone carjacks me. *sigh* It's always an arguement with mom. Come to find out they seen the same guy and did not stop to help [​IMG] I know it is risky, but would you pick someone up, have you, do you stop to help? I always do. I don't know why, but I always feel compelled to help folks out no matter. I also took a little old ladies cat food to her car at TSC when I was there...that is just things I do...I see no difference in the two. I guess this is another "help your fellow man" thread, but with a bit of a twist. Some things are dangerous..I mean...I could have tripped and smashed my face on the parking lot when I took that womans cat food to her car or anything!!! DANGEROUS! I could have smacked a tree and died on the way to the post office too. SO MANY ways I could have died today...but I didn't...guess it wasn't my time. [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    No.. i wouldnt pick up a guy walking cross country with a backpack..

I mean..if i saw someone stranded by their car or something like that.. yeah..i'd offer to call help for them...
    If i wasnt alone..i may even give them a ride somewhere..
    but if i was alone..no way i would let them in my car..i'd just call and get them car help..

As for carrying out cat food for someone,,sure i'd help...why not? Theres no personal safety risk there..

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Little old lady carryout - yes.

Picking up any kind of unknown traveler - no. Don't you watch Criminal Minds? [​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I did ALOT of hitchiking cross country in the 1970's & appreciated any ride I got, so now I return the favor by giving rides.

5. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Redhen my point was there actually IS risk with everything. I was being a bit flippant about it, but risk is everywhere. Certain things are higher risk than others, but...well...so what? Maybe I am crazy [​IMG] but IF I am, then I like it [​IMG] If you'd stop to help a female, why not a male? The female may be able to hurt you too. To me, no difference. I stop for those with car trouble as well. I stop and pick up folks all the time, and have in other places not just here in my neck of the woods.

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:Sorry, me either. At least not if I'm alone. But years ago when camping with 2 galfriends in the U.P. we came upon a fellow who's car ran out of gas. We persuaded him to let us take his gascan and fill it for him (he was skeptical, maybe he thought we'd steal it?) It took all of $3 to fill, he tried to pay us, we said no. "Well, you girls is all right" he says. Glad to help.

7. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:You sound like my mom [​IMG] I worked in a prison for over a year, that is as close to reality as you can get to "criminal minds" and THERE I was once assaulted...never have been helping someone..EVER.

8. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:[​IMG] At least I am not alone! I never have hitchhiked though..never had reason to.

9. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:You sound like my mom [​IMG] I worked in a prison for over a year, that is as close to reality as you can get to "criminal minds" and THERE I was once assaulted...never have been helping someone..EVER.

Ever...yet. [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I think helping people is a wonderful thing. [​IMG] I just choose to help people who are less likely to chop me in tiny pieces and feed me to the fishes for entertainment.

(Now, all you hitchhikers out there - don't get your panties in a bunch and come after me with your hatchets. I said it tongue in cheek, honest!)

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I pick people up all the time. But I have a .44 in the door an a .22 in my back pocket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by