Cross-legged hen won't walk!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wahlynne, Apr 4, 2017.

1. wahlynne

wahlynne New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Please help, This is my very first flock of chickens. I have 16 chickens that are about 2 months old. I noticed (about a week ago) my easter egger hen, Magnolia, has not been leaving the coop much but nothing seemed to be wrong. today when i checked on her I found her legs have crossed inwards and she has a lot of trouble walking. I will do a more thorough examination of her this evening but have not been able to find anything online as to what it might be. All the other chickens seem well and run about excitedly. Any ideas what i might do for her? And do i need to seperate her from the other hens?

Thank you,
    Sara

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not know what the leg problem is---If the others are accepting her---not pecking on her----she will be fine with them, maybe try to make her a comfortable place to roost at night---you might have to go out at night to introduce her to this new place. If she has been roosting in a somewhat open place---don't stuff her in a box-might be to hot as warmer weather is coming.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcom to BYC. Can you post a picture or two of her standing? There are several leg bone deformities in poultry such as varus valgus deformity, twisted tibia, and others. I can post some links with pictures in a bit.

4. wahlynne

wahlynne New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Yes of course, I just got home and went to check on her. I gave her some food and water since she hasn't left the coop to reach them. I didn't find any wounds or hot spots on her body or feet. Her feet also don't seem to be stiff and she doesn't seem to be in pain if I touch them. Any help would be appreciated.
    Also took a short video of her trying to walk. It may give you a better idea of what's going on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. wahlynne

wahlynne New Egg

Apr 4, 2017

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I spent about an hour looking for pictures about various leg bone deformities to post, but struck out. I really think this is one of those, such as varus valgus deformity, twisted tibia, tibial dyschondroplasia, or others. I would make sure that she gets a poultry vitamin with trace minerals daily, since manganese, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D are very important in leg health. A couple of products such as Poultry Booster which is applied to the feed with a couple of drops of vegeatable oil, or Poultry Cell Vitamins which can be given orally 2-3 ml day are good to use. Make sure that your chicken feed is complete and fresh dated. Here is some reading about common leg bone deformities:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1790586/

7. wahlynne

wahlynne New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Thank you so much for your help. I read the articles. I really can't tell what it might be. I did get some extra chicken vitamins for her feed but have not seen any improvement. Unfortunately she's getting worse, she can't stand up on her legs at all now. She can use her wings and beak to boost herself to the waterer, and she eats well too. I'm not sure what else I can do for her.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that she has not improved on vitamins. I would try making her a simple chicken sling which would get her upright with her legs able to touch the ground. Place food and water in front of her and take her out after a few hours several times a day.Let her out during the night to sleep. If you should lose her, if you would like to rule out Mareks disease as a possibility, you may want to contact your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy. Here is a link for that and some pics of homemade slings: http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by