Cross post: Aggressive Male Quail, emergent. Am clueless. Posted on Quail forum as well.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Birdseed, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Birdseed

Birdseed Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    The situation is this: About 300 with approx 30 per in 12 x 12 stalls with a 1:5 ration of male to female quail for egg production. Until today, lights have been on 24/7 as they did not have timers. Males are aggressively mating to the point that several females in each stall are bare of feathers on their back and now more than a few have been killed.

I literally was hired on yesterday to oversee the farm due to my expertise in everything EXCEPT the quail. I've got some calls in to extension offices but there isn't another productive quail farm in our state and I don't know who to ask for a solution.

So...two questions:
    1) We have 4x4 pens that we could put the males from each "family" of stalls in to separate them from the females but I am unsure if this is wise--will they be aggressive to each other?

2) Would simply turning of the lights for now til we can find another solution settle them down and buy me some time to figure out what the next steps should be?

When I was hired (yesterday!!!) I was told that the quail portion was well in hand and I was needed for the cattle, hogs, etc. Not so much methinks. But I'm the one who has to make the call.

Please help! Or direct me somewhere for more info. I'm googling like mad and making calls.

Thanks in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by