Cross Post * Dog that kills chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If this is a problem, take a look at this video. It has some very good information in it...as well as stopping the problem.

http://www.self-sufficient-life.com/1/DogVideo

each dog is different of course, but there may be useful info here

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Thank you! I'll have my first chickens next month and I'm nervous about how my Jack Russell Terrier will react. This gave me some ideas.

I'm hoping for the best but I'm not going to be leaving them alone together!

Karla

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You are very welcome. I think there are some neat techniques in the video...even if you are right there with them, they are so fast that it cannot hurt to have some training there to help. [​IMG]

4. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Hopefully with having two fenced in yards, my dogs can not see nor get to the chickens. The egg part cracked me up! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    That is good watching, thanks for showing that.

6. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Thanks for sharing the video! I liked his technique. I have a very good 8 year old Sheltie raised around chickens, a city raised 3-4 year old Collie we just got a couple months ago (he never saw a chicken before we got him) , and an almost 2 year old Jack Russell. The Collie is learning to control his excitement but I still don't trust him alone. The Jack, well he's a Jack. He loves the chase, hasn't shown the need to kill. But very enthusiastic about the chase. Got to stay on top of him but he's learning.

7. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    sure hope that works as easy for me. i have 2 large dogs
    this the first time either has been around chickens.one german shepard collie mix and one golden retriever rotti mixed.both looked at the chicks like it was dinnertime when they was in the brooder.now that they in the coop i think it's time to start working with the dogs.

8. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Another good deterrent are chickens that don't put up with the chase. I have a 3 year old beagle that chases everything. When I first let the chickens out to free range the dog would chase after them. After some scolding he slowed down some. Now the chickens go after the dog when being sniffed. He runs up to the deck and just watches. I guess after being pecked in the face a number of times he gave up the chase. It is funny though, the hens do the chasing and the roo just watches. John

9. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Thank you! I LOVE Cesar...He is incredible.

10. RedTailRanch

RedTailRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My Coop
    Thanks, that is great! I have been doing some of those things with my Vizsla and my chicks already. I posted before that a few weeks ago my Vizsla got in the brooding pen and I found her in there. Not a single chicken was harmed...and I can only assume that it's because the chicks are so used to HER that they didn't run or invoke a chase...so the thrill was gone for her.

However, last weekend she killed one of our resident prairie dogs right in front of me. This was the first time that she had actually caught or killed ANYTHING! Now I have been concerned that she might hurt one of the chickens once they are outside and free ranging.

I'm going to definitely be using Caesar's techniques alot over the next few weeks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by