Cross-posted: Chicks pecking to the point of blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tulips08, May 24, 2019.

1. Tulips08

Tulips08 Chirping

May 6, 2019
    Northern NJ
    (This is cross-posted on Raising Baby Chicks)

Hi!
    I have four chicks ranging from 2 weeks to 5 weeks old. The second to youngest (3 weeks old) got pecked to the point of bleeding early this morning. I separated her and sprayed her with Blue Kote. I've tried putting her back when everything is dry, but the smallest/youngest one keeps going for her and then the older two pile on. She's also pecking at herself sometimes, making herself bleed.

I've tried putting things to distract them in the brooder. I've tried putting them outside in a crate with their heating pad to distract them. Nothing is working. They've gotten along just fine up until now and seemed to have a good pecking order (the one that got injured was actually at the top of the pecking order... obviously not anymore...). And now the other three are duking it out with the littlest trying to peck everyone's back/tail (where the down feathers are on all of them still).

How do I manage this? I'm still new to chickens. When should I put the injured one back? Is there anything else I can do to get these ladies to get along again? Anything for pain management?

They're normally in a 4'x 2' stock tank so they have PLENTY of space (the injured party is now in a 116 qt plastic bin). I also have more than one eating and drinking place. The younger two are Easter Eggers and the older two are Speckled Sussex.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try to put the 2 small ones together, and keep them separate from the 5 weeks olds. A screen or some netting between the 2 groups may work. There is a little too much difference in size between the 2 groups, and a 5 week old can really injure a 2 week old. If the youngest still pecks at the 3 week old, then they may just need a bigger brooder.

3. Tulips08

Tulips08 Chirping

May 6, 2019
    Northern NJ
    I put the two little ones together and the smallest went straight for the injured one instantly. So I have the stock tank divided and I put the injured one on one side and the other three on the other. I could put another in the former brooder if I have to separate further, but then they can't see each other. *sigh*

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    See how it goes. Hopefully, she will heal and you can try them together again. I have always tried to keep chicks together that were the same age. They do start working out their pecking order around the age of 5 weeks or so. That 2 week old sounds very agressive. Hopefully, she will change to being nice.

5. Tulips08

Tulips08 Chirping

May 6, 2019
    Northern NJ
    The two week old was the MOST CHILL until today. I do not know what happened overnight, but the t-rex side of these chicks has emerged. And I so wish I could put them together somehow. The injured one has been basically crying all day because she's separated and now that the lights are out she is just making a ruckus. :confused: Do you know of anything that will deter pecking at wounds or just time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: