Cross Rock Chick Died.... What happened?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Simeo, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Simeo

Simeo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    North Georgia
    Hello, I have a sad story that I'll keep short. We ordered some cross rocks and layers. I have the brooding box right next to my desk so I'm able to keep an eye on them.

They are so cute because they have 'nap time' when all 26...25.... when all 24 go to sleep at the same time. Yes, we lost two. One was a dominique and the other a cross rock today. I wasn't there when the dominique died last night. I was in the other room for a couple hours watching something with my wife and then I came in to check before I went to sleep and she was dead.

The cross rock was really hard for us though. I looked in during 'nap time' and thought "They are sooooo cute." I looked at each one of them and one was laying kind of flat. I just thought he was really tired. Then nap time was over and they were all up and running around! Except this one. I picked it up and it was still 'sleeping'. Then afraid it was dying I rubbed it lightly to wake up. It coughed up foaming liquid and twitched a lot. I called my wife in to support it's flimsy neck. I rubbed it's belly a bit and it coughed more and pooped yellow. It's "belly button" was bleeding a little too.

I thought it might be coming around so I left the room to make up some sugar water to help perk it up but I heard my wife saying "No no no no" in the office. I came back and it wasn't moving. She was crying and said it was acting like it was choking and then it stopped moving. It was really sad because my wife does not cry easy. I wasn't so sad because it was a 'meat chick' but I was because it's still a life and I'm a little afraid.

I know it wasn't Cocci or Mareks because it just doesn't look like it.

What happened? (Ideas) and what can I do in case I see another baby chick like this tomorrow or in the next couple days??

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    How big is your brooder? What are you feeding?

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    How old? What is the temp? Bedding? Waterer? We need alot more info. :)

4. Simeo

Simeo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    North Georgia
    Feeding Manna-Pro non-medicated Chick feed. I did make some mash with the feed with water and apple Cider vinegar. The water has a little less than the teaspoon/gallon of quick-chik in it.

Brooder is about 90. Chicks are not huddled together and they aren't trying to avoid the heat lamp. They all seem comfortable. I tried lowering the temp a bit and they huddled close together.

Chicks were born 5 days ago.

Bedding is wheat straw.

Brooder is 2 feet by 6 feet for now.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. Simeo

Simeo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    North Georgia
    So woke up this morning and everybody seems happy and healthy. They were all 'napping' but 1 or 2 this morning so I took up their food while they were asleep. about an hour later I put it back with some fermented feed on top and every single chick is chowing down. (layer and cross rock)

So what happened to the chick from last night? Is that normal? Is it something just because of the cross rock hybrid? What should I do if I see another chick like that? What should I keep an eye out for in the next few weeks?

Thank you for your help.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, all of your parameters are within normal range. Maybe turn the heat down a few degrees but I don't think that caused anything. I think sometimes when we brood so many, it can be difficult to be 100% sure that everyone is eating and drinking and thriving. I had ducklings hatch under there mom about 7 weeks ago and thought I had 12, turned out to be 13 I just wasn't counting right because they were moving.

With so many, it is normal to lose a few. Some just fail to thrive.

With the cornish x, I'm not sure what it could have been. Abnormality?

Sorry for the losses. Glad everyone is doing well today.

7. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    I cannot tell you why your babies died, I'll leave it to the experts but wanted to tell you I feel for you and our wife an that I'm sorry, it's never easy losing them, never.

8. Simeo

Simeo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    North Georgia
    I'm hoping an abnormality and I agree with you completely about having so many. I told my wife I didn't want to do this anymore. It's just too hard for me to keep track of them and I'm not a commercial brooder that doesn't care about their lives. Even meat chicks don't deserve to die until it's time. :\

I'm going to invest in a good, small incubator and hatch small quantities in the future.

Thank you for the sentiments and thank you Samantha. I told my wife and she says "thank you. It's really tuff." It was the first time she ever had something die like that before and it hit her really hard.

9. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    First I am very sorry you had this experience. It is awfully sad to lose baby animals.

Now a little something to keep in mind...... I realize that you are fairly new to chickens and I agree that buying shipped chicks is hard on the chick and hatching your own often results in healthier animals. I hope to never buy shipped birds again and have been hatching eggs for 4 years now. But..... be aware that in hatching your own some chicks will died as well. Some eggs will not develop, some eggs will start to develop and than stop, Some will develop fully and never hatch, some will start to hatch you will hear them peeping and will die before they can get out of the egg, others may die a few days after hatching. You will see more death and, as much as it is difficult, it is part of raising chickens. Mostly chicks die because there is something wrong with how they are developing either in the egg or shortly after hatch. There is usually nothing you can do to help them.

I am not trying to be mean I just want you to know that even hatching your own you will experience an occasional broken heart.

-Keara

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Watching a chick die is a horrible experience, I know [​IMG] Unfortunately losing chicks is something we have to deal with when we raise chickens. I've raised many and, sadly, lost many. Due to mishaps, bad management (yes, I learned the hard way!), unknown causes, stupidity (mine). Here is a list of some causes of chick deaths and how to prevent it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39604/some-causes-of-early-chick-mortality

Good luck with the rest of your brood and your future broods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by