cross with marans to improve size

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dinahmoe, Dec 21, 2010.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i just wanted to see if other people have noticed this.
    i have crossed several different breeds with marans and gotten a heavier bird as a result.i have used both cuckoo and black copper on white egg layers,light breeds and dual purpose breeds and all of the offspring have increased in size as well as the eggs.i have a mixed layer flock and have crossed several breeds but i am pleased with the marans cross on anything.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Naturally. The Marans it self should be a robust, meaty, dual purpose breed of good weight. I too have noticed crosses of Black Copper with other breeds, even thin production birds such as hatchery-based New Hampshires, to be of good weight and size. Good meat too.

3. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    yeah,i crossed one with a white leghern. she looks a little bigger than a pure white leghern but when i pick her up she is heavy and thick.if i ate my chickens and wanted good layers,i would cross everything with a marans.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Yep....I have an extra large Marans roo that I have crossed to almost every breed of birds that I have....the result is very nice sized birds and I agree with Illia...good meat too! One of the only things that I noticed was when I crossed him with Barred Rocks...the females that I raised had a hard time with egg laying and didn't lay that often, every egg laid had stress cracks around the equatorial band, but the males were some good eatin birds, nice and meaty. The Orp cross Marans and others where fantastic layers and big birds. I sure did love the personalities of the buff crosses....even friendlier than their pure buff mums. [​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think 3 of those white legged birds- the marans, orps & sussex- make great crosses. I'd like to add a little Orp fluff and personality to everything, and the nice broad breast of the marans and sussex- sure makes for yummy looking birds! I have yet to eat any. Maybe some day.....If only the roos with personality issues would show themselves before they get too old.

6. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:i agree

i didn't cross anyhting on purpose,just had alot of birds.people around here wanted good backyard dual purpose chickens.they don't care if they are mixed so i started hatching everything.
    then i noticed the marans crosses ,on anything, turned out bigger.

pinkchick-will keep that in mind when it comes to the barred rocks.

i have crossed other dual purpose breeds and got what i expected but with the marans cross,results are better than expected.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have a marans crossed with a black/split lav orp so far her size is the same as a normal marans would be. Maybe it is because I used a project orp bird, but mine seem to be pretty big...bigger than the marans anyways.

8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Quote:i agree

i didn't cross anyhting on purpose,just had alot of birds.people around here wanted good backyard dual purpose chickens.they don't care if they are mixed so i started hatching everything.
    then i noticed the marans crosses ,on anything, turned out bigger.

pinkchick-will keep that in mind when it comes to the barred rocks.

i have crossed other dual purpose breeds and got what i expected but with the marans cross,results are better than expected.

I would suggest you cross barred rock with marans again to see if the result is the same. Sometime the cross chick happen to be bad gene side. I have RIR x BCM chicks. Will see how they turn out in spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by