Cross your fingers for me. 1st hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by midnitesun, Dec 29, 2009.

1. midnitesun

midnitesun Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Hunt County, Tx
    I set up my Christmas present. And took 6 eggs fromthe girls this morning, and hubby's dinner [​IMG] . So wish me luck that they hatch, and I did everything right.
    It looks like hatch date is Jan. 18th. [​IMG]
    So now what... Do I need to candle them at all?
    Right now the incubator is located in my master bathroom, away from kiddos and cats. I chek temps every 2 hours. Temp is holding at 100, humidty is at 35%.
    Is that good?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sounds good to me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I'm going to be right there with you soon! I'll be setting my first eggs tomorrow or Thursday! Good luck to both of us!

4. Kerjack

Kerjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks like you are doing the same as me! I set up my incubator that I got for Christmas too, so this is my first hatch. I set in 8 eggs and they are due on the 18th as well. Good luck!

5. midnitesun

Jun 15, 2009
    Hunt County, Tx
    Quote:[​IMG] Goodluck to you too...

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    What kind of bator do you have? I try to get humidity closer to 50% during the first 18 days and then to 65% for the last 3 days. If you want to ensure your eggs are growing, candling is recommended. At the very least make sure to give a good sniff now and then in case any eggs go bad on you. You dont' want an explosion in a new bator. Candling helps to weed out any that may be producing bacteria as well. Good luck for a great hatch!

7. midnitesun

Jun 15, 2009
    Hunt County, Tx
    Hubby got me the Little Giant 9200 still air, with the fan and turner added. He wants me to try this one before he goes out and gets me a big one, or makes me one.

8. newduckie

newduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    I put 42 in on the 23rd. my hatch date is the 13th. I have set two other batches but never had a hatch yet.. Keeping my fingers crossed for this one..

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I know humidity is a controversial subject. Many say it depends on what altitude you live in. I dunno ... What works for me is 30 - 35% during incubation, and 60 - 65% days for lockdown. The, "dry method," recommends allowing the humidity to drop to 25% before adding any more water (during the incubation time, not the lockdown time), I believe.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You temp sounds good for your bator. Kathy is right about humidity differences. It does vary based on where you live I believe. I tried dry once and it does not work here. I guess the only way to know is to try it and see what happens. Many swear by it, but my best hatches are doing what works for me here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by