Cross your fingers.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by domromer, Aug 19, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I am about to introduce 2 different sets of pullets together they are 14 weeks and 8 weeks. I didn't plan on bringing them together for another few weeks well today they were all free ranging in the yard at dusk. First the little girls went in to perch in the big coop ( they are still in a makeshift brooder) then the big girls went in and perched as well, SO now they are all on the perch together. I didn't want break them up so I thought maybe this was nature taking it's course. I put the shades on the coop windows so it will still be dark i there until I get up tomorrow. I hope everything stays peaceful. It sure would be great if this works tonight, I'm super nervous!!

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Fingers, toes, eyes and everything else crossable crossed for you! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Well there was no bloodshed last night. Although dolores pecked one on the head a few times today as she was waking up.

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-08-20

4. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Looks like a bunch of high school girls in their "clicks" or is it clucks...

5. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    All six of them wer snugged up nice and tight last night. This morning they kept looking over at eachother like " who's that"?

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awwww, i sooo glad they all are getting along. You might want to watch feeders.....a few might not get to eat as often as they should. Maybe another feeder would help, for a few weeks.

7. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Quote:Go it covered. We have multiple feeders and waterer's. No one will want for anything!

8. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Sorry, I'm late on this thread, are you going to update this one or should I look for updates in a new post, Id like to keep up on how yours do.
    People really should make it easier for me. [​IMG] haha

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  9. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    That picture is hysterical! Here's my script:

Little Sister #1: (clearing throat) "Um. . . helloooooo over there!"
    Alpha Hen: "DON'T look! If we ignore them long enough, maybe they'll just go away!"

[​IMG]

10. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Everything still remains the same. During the day they are in separate tractors next to each other. Around 7 PM they are released to free range around the yard, once it get dark the begin to enter the coop. Usually they fight and poke at each other for a little while. And then as the sun goes down they go into a chicken trance and stop picking on each other.
    The next morning they wake up, fight a little bit, free range for an hour or two then they are put into their tractors and the yard becomes the dogs domain.

Next week the drama will begin. I am almost finished with the massive totally unportable chicken tractor which will house them all.

note to self. If building a large chicken tractor, say 4X11, Try to avoid using all 2x4s, as they are very heavy.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by