Cross your fingers!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Soph xo, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Soph xo

Soph xo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Australia
    Hi there, well I'm new to poultry, I've always loved animals, all animals, and recently decided (and persuaded my parents) that we should keep some chickens. After a lot of research I decided on silkies. They look beautiful, they're gentle and they make great mothers. Some friends down the road own a lot of chickens and breed all differents kinds, so my best friend and I decided to go and visit her chickens (she was on holidays but said we could go down). After crooning over the chickens for a good hour, my friend wanted to go and look for what used to be one of his favourite chickens, a micro hen of the frizzle variety. Unable to find her, we went home disappointed concluding that she'd passed away. The next day, we went down again to play with the chickens and were still unable to see the micro frizzle. After going for a swim we went to check all the chickens were locked away safe when I saw a small, chestnut brown frizzle hen clucking around the yard. Calling my friend he came to see and confirmed it was her. Overjoyed, we went in to go and give her a cuddle. She seemed stressed and distracted so we let her down. Once we left the coop we spied over the fence to watch her and check she wasn't being bullied. After a few minutes to our surprise she hopped into a horse-feed trough left on its side and half full of sand. We peeked in curiously and what did we see, but 9 small, toasty warm eggs! The frizzle settled herself over them and snuggled down. There are two roosters in the coop with the micro frizzle, a beautiful white and black-specked rooster (sorry I don't know his breed), and a very adorable silkie rooster. Therefore, if the eggs are fertile, the chicks will be white frizzles with black specks or frizzles x silkies. As out friends down the road have lots of chickens and she breeds and sells them anyway, we're really hoping she'll give me some depending on how many hatch. I know this a bit random but please feel free to comment and please cross your fingers that the chicks hatch!
    By the way - we'll be telling the chickens owners as soon as she gets back but we can't get hold of her at the moment. We go down to check that the frizzle and her eggs are okay everyday.
    Soph [​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Aww sounds like a cute little mix! Is it warm enough where you are for the eggs to hatch? I know my banty cochins get broody really early, but the first sets in early spring never fully develop. If you end up with some chicks we need pics! [​IMG]

3. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I love my silkie and my frizzle so I am really hoping your eggs hatch and you are lucky enough to get some chicks - I know you will just love them as much as I do. [​IMG]

4. Soph xo

Soph xo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Australia
    :weeeThanks, yes it's really hot here at the moment we live in Australia! [​IMG] I will definitely post some (or thousands) or pictures if they hatch![​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A lot of people I know have had problems with it being too hot here in Australia to hatch eggs!!!!!! My silly ducks keeps laying her eggs and sitting in the gravel- in the sun. I have been taking the eggs if I know a day over 100 degrees is forcast, and she wasnt sitting yet- But I want to turn my incubator off next week after the last two eggs hatch- but then she goes and lays another egg today!!!!!

Good luck with the eggs Soph xo. Its amazing how resilient they can be sometimes. Hope those eggs hatch and you sonn have your own chickens

6. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    HI Jude, yesh i hope they hatch!!! I went down to check on them the other day and to make sure no predators have got to her!! I tried to move her off the nest to check if there were any more eggs (too see if she has just started laying or if she has been there a while) but she went psycho and bit everything lol owell i guess thats a good sign and hopefully will warn away any predators ... or me!! lol. Ill check her tomorrow and fingers crossed something will hatch!?!?! Because she is in a pen with about 20 other chickens will the other roosters kill her babies??? Thanks!! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by