Crossbeak getting picked on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bekachickenborn, Oct 26, 2016.

1. bekachickenborn

bekachickenborn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2016
    I have a finicky scissorbeak black sex link hen named Thomas (my two year old named the poor girl). Shortly after acquiring her she ran away and evaded us for about a month before we captured her and introduced her to the flock. She's the black sheep of my flock of 7. Never really "made friends" with either of the two cliques. Hangs with the younger girls because the older ones can get pretty nasty to her. She eats and lays pretty well. Over the past week I've noticed her head feathers going missing. Is this likely a case of feather picking by the mean girls? If so, any ideas on helping poor Thomas out?

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Do you have a rooster? If the answer is no then I would say it is probably picking. I would figure out who is doing it and take them out of the coop for a week or two. keep her Out of Sight and Sound of all the others. When you return her she will be on the bottom of the pecking order which will force restructuring of the flock. A lot of times this fixes picking issues.

3. bekachickenborn

Jul 17, 2016
    Tga
    nks.

No roosters here. We will try to do some chicken watching. What happens if it's more than one bird behaving badly?

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    If I get a whole bunch of them doing it I tried to pull the worst offenders because it's still causing some disruption and pecking order and sometimes helps in these cases

5. bekachickenborn

Jul 17, 2016

Thanks. I know who the general two "mean girls" are. Maybe I'll try knocking them down a peg!

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I would evaluate their nutrition. Feather pecking can be either nutritional, boredom, crowding..Sometimes upping the protein will help and cutting back on treats to 5% daily...Meaning a Tablespoon per Bird...

Cheers!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This^^.

How big is the coop and run...in feet by feet?
    What and how exactly are you feeding?

1 person likes this.
  8. bekachickenborn

Jul 17, 2016

The run is 20x20 for the 7 chickens. The coop is 7x8. I have a swing, multiple roosts and throw in leaves and hay to the run for them to scratch in. Right now I'm feeding grower/finisher with oyster on the side (I have layers mixed with some youngins who aren't yet laying). Everyday or so I throw in a handful of some sort of snack (seeds, mealworms, fruit, veggies, steak, fish, etc.).

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old is she? Could she be molting? It's that time of year......

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by