crossbeak?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by prancie, Dec 7, 2009.

1. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    I have 3 week old chicks from McMurry and I noticed today that some aren't doing as well as others. Not as well groomed etc. I pulled these chicks out and find that many of them have an apparent beak deformity. I assume it's cross beak. In the couple of chicks where it is really bad the bottom beak is pointing downwards almost completely. Is this cross bea or do I have another problem, possibly nutritional deficiancy?

2. prancie

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    also, this is my third go at raising chicks and my first from mcmurry hatchery. I've been successful with no health problems with my other chicks, so this confuses me a bit.

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    sounds like cross beak. i have a 4 month old rooster that the beaks go in different directions. top to the right and bottom to the left. he is freezer bound. he is very healthy other than that.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yup, sounds like a genetic defect and most hatcheries don't cull for this so it is cropping up more and more in recent years.

5. prancie

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    I am alarmed because it has shown up in all 3 breeds that were shipped.

6. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I also have a cross-beak chick. It is 6wks old and thriving so thats a good thing. Was planning on posting pics to see if anyone could guess the sex. If its a roo I will cull but if its a pullet she can stay (no breeding, just for eggs).

For the chick I added a deep dish on the side of the wire crate they are in (a pet feeder dish that came with a plastic dog crate) and I have also water bottle trained all of my chicks on a Lix-it dog water bottle. Because the chick has to reach upwards and peck the ball bearing to get water it doesn't have to deal with the problem of scooping up water from a traditional waterer.

Best of luck with your little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by