Crossbreed chickens.. Will they sell?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HourihanRanch, Jan 20, 2016.

1. HourihanRanch

HourihanRanch New Egg

Jun 1, 2015
    Hi I'm new to chicken owning. My family & I own 8 chickens, One rooster seven hens.
    We have a motley crew of different breeds.
    The rooster is a silkie and the hens are Easter Eggers, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Polish, and 1 silkie..
    My question are;
    ~If we were to hatch some fertile eggs would these crossbreed chicks sell?
    ~Does anyone have any success selling crossbred chickens?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    First [​IMG]
    Now to answer your question, WILL THEY SELL??? Most likely yes but mostly for pets. Barnyard mixes do not bring in a very high dollar. Even good hatchery grade chickens that lay well or broilers are not expensive at the feed stores in the spring time. The select grade show quality breeds are the ones with the higher $$$. and come from select breeders of specialty breeds.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I sell my Easter Egger mixes for $2 a chick. They sell very fast, especially if they are fall chicks. Check out what the feed stores in your area are charging per chick, and then price your's a bit lower. You might be able to get a bit more for them if the local stores only ever have production breeds.

1 person likes this.
  4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I only sell locally.

5. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

The other option is selling them at point of lay. Then you could get $20 for them! (At least in my area.)

6. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    those combinations are ridiculous, and sure they'll sell. No problems. People buy fast food and ISA Browns, so of course they'll buy anything for sale.

I wouldn't price them cheap. If you raised them by hand then you can charge more than the local sellers. Lower prices can often put people off.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I can sell mixed breed birds all day long, but they sell much better as started pullets than as day old or brooder chicks. Folks around here want sexed birds, not sure how straight run would sell in your AO. I also have great feed stores to compete with, they do a brisk business in day old chicks. You'll either need to sell straight run or have a plan for your cockerels you hatch out.

8. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    It's not actually the way selling works, you don't need to undercut anyone. The decision on whether or not to buy something is usually not to do with price, and people sometimes shop about, but they don't shop about for everything. People will drive all day to save 50c a kilo on sugar or wheat, however others will buy a car at a local dealership without ever shopping around, even though it will save them their lifetime sugar and wheat bill in one go.

9. HourihanRanch

HourihanRanch New Egg

Jun 1, 2015
    Thank you everyone for the helpful advise and pointers. It looks like I might take a shot at hatching a few of these chicks that will be crossbreeds.

If anything, our boys will enjoy seeing the little fluffballs hatch at grow up.

I'm guessing even if I sell locally the best way to advertise for my chicks and pullets would be:

~Here on BYC
    ~Craigs List
    ~my own Online Blog/website
    ~Word of Mouth

Are there any other good options?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You might want to try finding a local buy/sell/trade facebook page. That's how I sell mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by