Crossbreed Lottery

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SweetPotato, Oct 5, 2016.

1. SweetPotato

SweetPotato Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Arno Bay, Australia
    This is my Wyandotte rooster Rowdy. I also have a black Australorp boy. [​IMG]
    My girls are Isa Browns, White Leghorns, Australorps, Copper & Wheaten Marans.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Any ideas on which crosses we have here?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

do you have a better pic of Rowdy? I'm thinking he's not a pure Wyandotte. What kind of comb does he have?

Who is your barred/cuckoo bird? Someone's gotta be, cause you have a barred cockerel there. If you don't have any barred birds, that means your Leghorns are carrying barring that's hidden by the dominant white, and that chick had a Leghorn momma.

Your Australorp boy would throw mostly black chicks. Or, crossed with the Leghorn or RSL hens, the black would be turned into white. But, I'm only seeing one chick there that would be his, that all dark bird in the group shot.

Chicks with the Marans momma should have white skin, no matter who the father was.

3. SweetPotato

SweetPotato Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Arno Bay, Australia
    No barred birds that we know of and I'm sure you're right about Rowdy although his previous owner bought him as a purebred he doesn't look quite like anything I've seen. Well - they'll definitely be a varied bunch then!

4. SweetPotato

SweetPotato Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Arno Bay, Australia
    [​IMG]This is Rowdy.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

He doesn't even look a straight up Wyandotte mix - I'd say multiple generation mixed breed.

6. SweetPotato

SweetPotato Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Arno Bay, Australia
    Could he be carrying the barred gene? Because we are going to keep that little barred rooster because he's just gorgeous and has a lovely nature after being constantly handled by the kids.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Rowdy is definitely a mixed breed. Barring isn't a gene that carries. It's a dominant gene that always express, regardless of the bird's coloring. One of the white hens could has the barring gene, you can't see white 'bars' on a white bird. That means the barred chick is a cockerel for sure.
    How did you get a chick with a rose comb if none of the possible parents are rose combed?

8. SweetPotato

SweetPotato Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Arno Bay, Australia
    I don't even understand what a rose comb is - I'll have to look it up. The majority of our chooks are raised at the school from a commercial supplier. The Roosters are rescues and the Marans are from a reputable breeder so your guess is as good as mine. But I'm loving the barred chicks - they're my favs.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree Rowdy is a barnyard mix.

He does not carry barring. The only thing that "hides" barring is dominant white--a solid white bird like a Leghorn or a Rock.

One of your hens must not be the breed you're saying. Rose combs are dominant, and you have a rose combed chick, so some hen has to have a rose comb. All the breeds you mentioned are straight combed.

The little barred cockerel could be fun to keep as a rooster if you want to breed more mixes. I had a black sex link (basically what he is) as my flock rooster for a few years and had a nice variety of chicks. Half his offspring will be barred, half won't, but it' won't be linked to gender. makes for a nice colorful flock [​IMG]

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Rose combs are flat and wedge shaped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by