Crossbreeding?

momofthehouse

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Seabeck, wa
I am looking to order up my first set of chicks from cackle and they come in orders of 5 so I would get maybe 15. These are the breeds that I like as we are wanting eggs and good meat birds. Also we have three kids so being a good friendly bird is an added bonus as they will be free ranging most of the day.

I am wondering which one I should get as a roost and if I should get two roost or just one and how does it work when you have three different breeds and only one roost as far as what the chicks would be that would hatch?

My selection is:

1. White Leghorn - good big white eggs, not really a meat bird
2. Light Brahma - friendly and good layers plus good meat
3. Buff Orphington - good layers and meat

Also are these ok breeds to mix into one coop? Our coop will be around 8x12 (not including a run along with free ranging) *Run will be for when I am gone during the day.

If these three dont work together can you tell me if two of them work together or what other combination.

I don't know that you need to order too many extra chicks--the hatcheries usually include a couple extras just in case some die in shipment. Order extras if you think you can sell them if they all survive.

I think you should get the rooster of whichever breed you prefer to have pure chicks hatch from broodies--or get one of each and process the two you like least.

You can use the chicken calculator to get an idea of how the white, columbian and buff would work together:
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Though keep in mind, the feathered legs and pea comb of the Brahma are usually dominant. I prefer the pea comb. The feathered legs don't bother me much on Brahmas (Cochins are a bit obnoxious and a pain to pluck/skin roosters).

I don't know that you need to order too many extra chicks--the hatcheries usually include a couple extras just in case some die in shipment. Order extras if you think you can sell them if they all survive.

I think you should get the rooster of whichever breed you prefer to have pure chicks hatch from broodies--or get one of each and process the two you like least.

You can use the chicken calculator to get an idea of how the white, columbian and buff would work together:
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Though keep in mind, the feathered legs and pea comb of the Brahma are usually dominant. I prefer the pea comb. The feathered legs don't bother me much on Brahmas (Cochins are a bit obnoxious and a pain to pluck/skin roosters).

I have no clue what you are talking about with the pea comb and feathered legs? I have been more looking at their temperment and how they produce and if they can tolerate the pacificnorthwest :) What is a cochin?

That calculator was cool but wow I have no clue how to work that thing ha!

Back
Top Bottom