Crossed beak Americauna

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gypsi, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, chicken math finally got me, I went to the feed store looking for mealworms to start my colony, and came home with 5 americauna chicks. Didn't notice one had a crossed beak until about the time I took their picture, by which time the feed store has sold out, so I guess she's mine. She's eating well, the other chicks peck at her beak, I'm guessing that surgery isn't much of an option.

I was given an older crossed beak cockatiel years ago, and she was 5 or 6 years old when I got her, but she was caged alone. Will my little gal live to adulthood? (barring accident or injury)

[​IMG]

She's the one near the center of the pic, white head, black spot on top.

Gypsi:/

2. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    If she can feed herself and drink, she could make it. She might get picked on by the others though. You just have to keep an eye on them for bullying and see if they gang up on her or if she cant eat enough to keep growing.

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine lived to 10 months but was fat and laying when she died. I didn't have the heart to do an autopsy so I don't know what happened. Use deep dishes and as she grows older if you give her other foods be sure to sprinkle grit on top for her as she won't be able to pick it up for herself.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Since you've already had experience with this form of deformity I'm sure you know the routine- deep feed and water dishes, nutrient dense snacks as needed, trim when necessary, hope for the best always, and never use these birds for breed stock as this is a genetic condition that is frequently worse in subsequent generations.

I had a mild case of crossbeak in one of my BRs who did just fine, but hers was a mild case that I didn't even notice until she was about 15 weeks old. Unfortunately, if you notice it in a very young chick it is probably going to progressively get worse until the chick reaches its full skeletal growth. You are going to need to watch this chick carefully until then to ensure it is getting enough intake to survive.

I hope it makes it. Good luck.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never learned to trim a bird's beak, and my chick's deformity, the angle of crossing, is more severe than my cockatiels was. About a 60 to 70 degree cross at the face point. I am surprised she has lived this long, as I'm sure the breeder and feed store weren't feeding mash. With this degree of crossing, would beak trimming be warranted? Or should I just feed her and enjoy her while she lives? She has quite a personality, my grandchildren named her penguin (for happy feet).

Gypsi

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by