Crossed beak chick--pics attached

saucywomyn

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Scotts Mills OR
Oh no--We just hatched 2 chicks (the natural way--using a broody hen), and at 3 weeks, I just noticed one of them has a crossed beak. Looks pretty bad, but the chicks are almost the same size and growing every day--so far no one is undernourished.

They have a GREAT mamma who dotes on them, protects them well, and breaks up their food for them. I just started giving them mushy oatmeal along with a deep feeder with chick starter, plus lots of greens from the garden, bread, etc. They have a safe area in an elevated coop, and the other 10 hens and 1 roo are peaceful free-rangers. Mostly Ameraucana with a couple of Orps.

Any words of wisdom? I can't see how beak filing is gonna help this little fella.

79501_shik3.jpg

79501_hpim0518.jpg

79501_shik4.jpg

I had 1 chick whose beak was close to being as bad as yours. She needed deep food & water bowls. When she was bigger we actually kept a brick next to the feeder. She stood on the brick so she could eat out of the top. If she wasn't washing it out in deep water I would rinse her beak with a bottle of water. It would get pretty gross sometimes.

Never tried to trim her beak, but don't think it would have helped being that crooked

Anytime the girl was missing we could find her inside a feed bag in the barn. She ate all the time, but it is because she could t get as much down. She would free range with others but honestly couldn't eat a grasshopper if I was hand feeding it to her. Pretty sure she didn't get much food out of free ranging.

Thanks, I did not think about the waterers...will take a look at that. Yup, they are fat little babies so far. They are treat-obsessed just like ther rest of the flock!

Back
Top Bottom