Crossed beak runt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BooksAreNerdy, Mar 5, 2013.

1. BooksAreNerdy

BooksAreNerdy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    NE Kansas
    I just got my order this morning from Cackle! They are only about 4 hrs away, so hopefully easy travel! I ordered 15, got 16. All seem very happy and healthy! Eating and drinking, running, etc. one is a little runty and has a slight crossed beak. She sits under the lamp without moving. If I pick her up she moves like any other chick but hasn't eaten or had water yet. She just goes straight back to the lamp.

Do you think she will make it? Anything I can do for her? Should I notify the hatchery?

Just for fun:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    i have a slightly cross beak too, mine is now four months old. as long as she can eat and drink she will be fine. you will need to trim the beak from time to time to manage the condition. im praying mine wont get worse
    just trimmed the beak a few days ago
    if you can get her to eat she can lead a fairly normal life with a little tlc.problem is it tends to worsen as they grow, how badly is it crossed? like i said mines 4 months old already and leading a normal life.so just try and get her eating and drinking. no reason to cull her unless she is unable to eat for herself. mines healthy and just like my other chickens except for her cross beak but im lucky because mines a milid cross beak. is she severe?.if not she should be fine.

3. BooksAreNerdy

Feb 11, 2013
    NE Kansas
    The top beak is only half way across the bottom beak. But she is only 1 day old. I would set her next to the food and water and she would just sit there. I'm crossing my fingers that she is still alive this morning when I go check. I will try to take a picture.

4. Brookeee2013

Brookeee2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Ringgold, Ga
    My Coop
    I had a cross beak hen that lived for 2 years. Died for an unknown cause but she had a healthy life.

5. BooksAreNerdy

Feb 11, 2013
    NE Kansas
    I just got her to take her first sips of water by letting her peck up at a drip on my finger. I think she will do well with an eye dropper. Is there a ratio of sugar to water I should use? She seemed really thirsty!

6. BooksAreNerdy

Feb 11, 2013
    NE Kansas
    Also, I think she's blind in one eye.
    Here is a picture of her beak.[​IMG]

7. BooksAreNerdy

Feb 11, 2013
    NE Kansas
    Well, I used an eyedropper to feed her some of they whey off of te yogurt I made this weekend from raw cows milk. She got the hang of it pretty quickly and by this evening, I had to look for her by her beak instead of lookin for the lifeless lump of fuzz! Big improvement! I hope she keeps getting more vigor!

8. bostonteacher

bostonteacher New Egg

May 15, 2013
    Yesterday, the chicks hatched in my classroom, and one of them closely fits the description of your chick. It has a badly misaligned beak and only one eye. It does not have the same vigor as the other chicks. It just stands or lays down underneath the light and does not try to eat or drink. When I hold it, it responds like the other chicks. I've been able to hand feed it some wet meal and give it water from an eye dropper. But I'd really like to know how things turned out with your chick. Did you have success feeding it whey? Did it survive? Any other advice people have would be much appreciated. Thanks!

9. BooksAreNerdy

Feb 11, 2013
    NE Kansas
    Our chick only lived 3-4 days. It was like she couldn't get enough food to grow. The others were getting bigger by the hour and she just wasn't growing. One day she really perked up, but the 3rd day she was very week and the 4th morning she was dead.

I was feeding her yogurt 3-4 times a day as muh as she would eat.

10. Spice Glen Hens

Spice Glen Hens Out Of The Brooder

Many crossed beaked chickens die.

I read up on it, and have had a few,lost some, but still I have 2 older hens with the beak crossed, (so they can make it).

I dip the chicks beak in water first few days several times a day.
    Sprinkle starter on the floor so they peck at it.

Later on I trimmed the beaks.
    They can bleed if cut too short.

They will grow a hook on the top of the beak, and that will eventually break off at the right length if they grow into active adults normally living..but the beak continues to grow.

Sad that they cant do what a chicken is born to do.....

PECK

Spicy

Last edited: May 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by