1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crossed beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snixter3, Apr 8, 2009.

1. snixter3

snixter3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    I have a friend that has a month old chick she is wanting to give away, it has crossed beak. Is that a big problem? What will the outcome of the bird be when it grows? I have 10- 7 week old chicks now, would it hurt to get this one to be with them? I only want them for eggs, not for meat chickens. Thanks

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've yet to see a cross-beaked chick thrive.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I have a crossbeak that is bigger than all my others and lays an egg daily. I think it depends on how bad the beak is, as to how well they will do. But my crossbeak is incredible. Mine knew it was different, and was fast to get out of the way of the others, so i put her in my bantam coop where she is the biggest. The crossbeak can get worse as the bird grows, so keep an eye on it, and how its treated by the others. Maybe you can post a picture of her.

4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:I have a crossbeak that is bigger than all my others and lays an egg daily. I think it depends on how bad the beak is, as to how well they will do. But my crossbeak is incredible. Mine knew it was different, and was fast to get out of the way of the others, so i put her in my bantam coop where she is the biggest. The crossbeak can get worse as the bird grows, so keep an eye on it, and how its treated by the others. Maybe you can post a picture of her.

What she said!! [​IMG]

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have a 6 month old cross beak serama, she lays eggs and eats just fine. I will be trimming her beak a bit if it gets worse but right now its like she has a built in pair of chop sticks and gets along just fine. She is one of my sweetest birds even tho i can't breed her now she has a special place in my heart and home forever.

6. snixter3

snixter3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    ok, thanks for the replys. I am not sure yet if i am going to take it. If i do, I will post a picture

7. WNCUrbanAgrarian

WNCUrbanAgrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have one too, she/he is about 5 weeks old, slipped in the delivery... I don't think they knew, but it isn't a breed I ordered (and not a free rare), I think she/he is a Buff Orpington, which my sister tells me were her favorite chickens. I have been amazed watching it survive, and the other chicks that are now SO much bigger just let it alone. If it turns out to be a rooster, I'm not sure what I will do with it, because I'm in town, so I am hoping that it is a hen and I can keep her... Seems so sweet![​IMG]

8. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Australorp hen, about a year old, Violet, although we call her hairlip with love. She is a bit thinner than the other Australorps but lays eggs as often as the others. We have opted to feed all of our pullets crumbles instead of pellets, due to her inability to get the pellets in her mouth as easy. We also leave the feeder down on the ground once a day, so she can stick her head inside the whole feeder and therefor get more feed in her. She is doing really well, and I do not see the reason for culling her. I will not however let her hatch out any of her own eggs, I do believe the crowwbeak affliction is hereditary.

I just left this on another post, hence the quote. I hope I did that right.
    My girl, the one mentioned above has what I would consider a severe cross beak problem. Her top beak is almost curved as a circle, and the bottom part sticks straight out. We do keep it trimmed as best we can but she goes nuts when we try to trim it, so we rather make sure she gets enough feed and stays healthy than stress her out with beaktrimmings.

Kycklingmamma​

9. kbmead

kbmead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    Bainbridge Is., WA
    Hi--We have a hen who hatched last September. She had a slightly crossed beak and a bad eye. We think maybe it was because her egg cracked a few days before hatching. (I superglued the crack to keep it from getting bigger).

Well, the beak is now hardly crossed at all. Her eye never got better, so she's half blind. But she gets along fine, and SHE IS THE SWEETEST HEN EVER!!! She follows us around, lets us pick her up all of the time, and we love her! She is probably the lowest on the pecking order, but the other chickens don't abuse her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by