1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crosses coming out.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by muddywaterducks, Aug 23, 2016.

1. muddywaterducks

muddywaterducks Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    NC
    I had a pair of marans/rir crosses.the roo recently died and the hen was broody she hatched out 7 chicks 5 looked like marans and 2 were yellow looking almost like a production/rir chick. So my question was did in some of the eggs the marans genes of the parents came out and in some the rir genes came out? is that possible?

2. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Yes, I free range and in that bunch I have salmon faveroles and black copper Marrans I have hens and roosters of each. Other stuff too... You can tell which are pure and which are mixes. Just google your breed chick pics and you will see what they should look like. Sometimes you can cross things and it's a cross that people are interested in. Like Easter eggers and BCM you get olive eggers. Hope this helps I see no one else had responded yet.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    How well do you understand basic genetics? Sorry but it sounds like you may have slept through that part of biology. It sounds like both parents were crosses, so the generics, dominant and recessive, were mixed up. When they breed the genes get thrown together randomly. I don’t know what kind of Marans were in the parentage, there are several different colors/patterns, but don’t be surprised to see a fair amount of differences in them when they fully feather out. When you cross crosses you often get a lot of differences.

I cross crosses all the time. I never know what the chicks will look like, either the down when they hatch or the feathers when they feather out. I currently have some chicks that had reddish down when they hatched but are getting a lot of black feathers.

Congratulations on the hatch. Broody hatches are always exciting.

4. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    I didn't catch where the original birds were crosses, my apologies. Can you please just try and assist people without insulting them at the same time. It's just rude, and ruines the spirit of this site. We all love this site and stuff like that just destroys all the good. I have referred many people to this site and several times I get "oh man the people on that site". Thank you... No need to reply.. Please.

5. muddywaterducks

May 30, 2016
    NC
    Not to be rude but are you saying that i'm insulting people when I answer them? because if that is the case please tell me an example.

6. muddywaterducks

May 30, 2016
    NC
    oh now reading the earlier responses I believe you weren't talking to me correct?

7. muddywaterducks

May 30, 2016
    NC
    I knew it was possible but I was just asking to be sure. Also I set this up so others can learn also.

8. Alley101

Alley101 Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    NY

@muddywaterducks , @jjaazzy

Muddy, don't worry, Jjaazzy was talking to Ridgerrunner, not you. He/she was being disrespectful to you. BYC is an informative and kind helpful community, not harsh critics. You asked a very important question regarding the genetics of your hybrid chicks. Everyone wants to help you to the best of our abilities! ;)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  9. muddywaterducks

May 30, 2016
    NC
    I thought ridgerunner was being rude but I didnt want to start anything by saying it. Thanks for clearing it up,

10. Alley101

Alley101 Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    NY

No problem! [​IMG]

It was an honest question. Chicken genetics are hard to figure out, especially when breeding two hybrids.

- Alley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by