Crossing a Barred rock hen with... any ideas on good matches?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AnimalCrazed, Jun 18, 2011.

1. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    I'm looking to expand my flock, i do want more hens and a roo but i want to get some cool crosses out of it. any ideas? i like calm breeds and duel perpose. i like jersey giants but i'm not for sure yet if thats what i'll add.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you want to get Black Stars or Black Sex-link hybrids, then use a Rhode Island Red Rooster.

When your chicks hatch they will be fuzzy black chicks, they males should have a white dot on their heads, and the females should be solid black.

When they mature, the females will be black with lighter, redish feathers at the neck, and the males--- I think look like Barred Rocks. They will lay lots of brown eggs, be docile and friendly and some folks consider them a meatier bird than the Red Sex-link which tends to be a little smaller/lighter.

3. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Australorp rooster will give you a sex-link that is calm, quiet, and a terrific layer. Should help add a good disposition too. May be a little harder to find, but worth the effort. .......stan

4. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks good ideas! If anyone has anymore ideas i'd love to hear them. [​IMG]

5. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Quote:i like the idea of crossing the barred rock hen with the jersey giant i think when my pullets start laying i will give it a try ive got 2 barred rock pullets 6 jersey giant pullets and a jersey giant rooster but they are only 7 weeks old
    now so it will be some time yet but if you do cross them take some pics so that we can see what they look like

6. Hi! I think Jersey Giant would make a nice cross. Another fun cross would be to Ameraucana (or Green-Egger / easter egger) or a Naked Neck. With either (unless they are barred), you'd get barred males and not-barred females and could tell gender at hatch (by the head-spot). I think a LF Cochin and Barred Rock would be a great cross.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by