Crossing a Blue Orpington Boy with Other Colours

Azaia

Chirping
Nov 30, 2021
Hello Everyone,

Im still quite new at chicken keeping and trying to get a plan in action for spring season in England.
I have a young Blue Orpington boy - it's his first season. He's about 8/9 months old.

Along with him, I got a small selection of girls. I have a buff, a blue and a cuckoo.

Can anyone tell me what colours im likely to get if I cross our blue boy with this set of girls?

Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

Im still quite new at chicken keeping and trying to get a plan in action for spring season in England.
I have a young Blue Orpington boy - it's his first season. He's about 8/9 months old.

Along with him, I got a small selection of girls. I have a buff, a blue and a cuckoo.

Can anyone tell me what colours im likely to get if I cross our blue boy with this set of girls?

I think that the lavender orpington is different than most other crosses that produce blue/gray/lavender and that this lavender gene will cause other colors to be lighter?
Maybe black or white would be good color crosses and all other colors will be the same but lighter??
I researched it a couple of months ago and I think if you search this site you can finds some info...

Hello Everyone,

You should get the following:
Blue roo x Blue hen: 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash
Blue roo x Buff hen: 50% blue and 50% black, possible with some leakage around chest and neck.
Blue roo x Cuckoo hen(Assuming black barred). Black or blue females and black barred or blue barred males (sex-linked when the female parent is cuckoo or barred and the male parent is not).
You will not get any lavender colored birds unless both parents are carriers (or recessive) for lavender.
Good luck.😊

Blue roo x Blue hen: 50% blue and 50% black
Blue roo x Buff hen: 50% blue and 50% black, possible with some leakage around chest and neck.
Blue roo x Cuckoo hen(Assuming black barred). Black or blue females and black barred or blue barred males (sex-linked when the female parent is cuckoo or barred and the male parent is not).
You will not get any lavender colored birds unless both parents are carriers (or recessive) for lavender.
Good luck.😊
check on this for lavender Orpington's. its different than regular.

Good luck.😊
Agreed
check on this for lavender Orpington's. its different than regular.
OP never mentioned lavender so why is it being discussed?

Good luck.😊
Thank you so much this is immensely helpful!☺️ Wasn't expecting lavender so there's no surprise there!

Back
Top Bottom