crossing a turken with a bantam sebright

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Scott Turner, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Scott Turner

Scott Turner In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    Does anyone know if the chicks from a standard Turken hen and a bantam sebright would create nacked neck chicks?

2. Hi! I think half the chicks would have naked necks and half would have feathered necks.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Definitely. Naked neck gene is semi dominant, so any cross using a naked necked bird will throw at least 1/2 naked necked chicks. If it is not pure for the gene, then 1/2 chicks will be naked necked.. if it is pure then 100% chicks will be naked necked.

BTW I did sebright crosses this spring- both sebright over a turken hen and turken roo over a sebright hen. There were two sebright roosters with the turken hen.. yet fertility was very low, around 25%. Never saw them try but think they just couldn't breed her too good most of the time due to size difference.

None of the turken over sebright were fertile. He couldn't breed her, as she was way too small. Had to do AI then whammo, 100% fertility.

Consider AI(artificial insemination) if natural breeding isn't too successful.

Good luck, love to see pics later!

4. Hi! I imagine the next generation or so, we'll be seeing your fabulous tiny laced NN birds?
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Ya! I'm actually thinking of breeding back up to standard size though.. could easily do bantam version too but.. space, spaceneedmorespace! It doesn't help much I also did outcross of bantam turken to lavender rooster with lavender turken bantams as the goal.. those are basically taking up all the "bantam space".

Silly me also let the turken-Wyandotte mix eggs hatch.. some of them look promising, the oldest chick is showing fairly decent lacing, far from perfect(laces are way thick).

Spaceneedmorespaaaace! [​IMG]

6. Quote:Kev... I am so there!!! Ive got 40 post in the ground... and my Phase 2 is still on hold... Hopeing to start in 2 weeks... I have birds coming in Aug... and they HAVE to be done by then!!!

7. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Advice... put in twice as much as you think is needed! [​IMG]

What are the new birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by