Crossing a white silkie roo with a black pullet...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bryam, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    If anybody has done this please let me know what colour combination you got.

White silkie roo x black pullet produce?

White silkie roo and a partidge produce?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    crossing the white and black can give you black, white, splash and sometimes the blue. they make a good combo. dont know about the other one.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Crossing white to anything else is completely unpredictable. White prevents the colours and patterns that are genetically present in the bird, therefor, without the white genes, the bird could be just about anything. And two different whites could give completely different results--becuase they could have an entirely different set of colour and pattern genes.

What you are asking is like saying, "I have a can of chili and another can of something, but its label was lost. How will they mix together?"

4. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Thanks Granny hatchet! That is what the research has told me! Yup, I guess that I could be in for some surprises!!

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you are welcome

6. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sonoran Silkies gave you the correct response. There is nothing that can be mated to black and give all the possible results that granny hatchet wrote. Splashes will not come from a mating to black. If your white silkie is actually a blue one with two copies of recessive white, making it white in appearance and is mated with a black one which is carrying one copy of recessive white then you could have a possibility of black, blue or white offspring. Of course if the white one is actually a genetically different color , which is much more likely, then the results will be completely different. As stated in Sonoran Silkies post.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    one of these days when i grow up i will larn how to use my camera.[​IMG] where in IN. do you live? if you are close maybe you could come get pics and tell me what color they are ? i am southern IN. the silkies i have are white with black spots, self-blue lavender white, black and a few others.

8. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    granny hatchet, I live about 75 miles west of you.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thats not that far. i travel that sometimes just to shop !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by