1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crossing barred rock bantam male with white rock bantam female

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rdish50, Mar 29, 2009.

1. rdish50

rdish50 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    connellsville,pa.
    Hello fello chicken nuts....years ago one could find healthy barred rock bantams but it has been my experience that if you find them now they are somewhat unhealthy,listless and subject to colds...maybe the ones you have arent like this ,but this has been my experience....anyhow ,i found a very nice barred rock bantam rooster and have no barred hens,but i do have some very nice white rock bantam hens.....i am wondering if i mate them together and then mate the daughters back to this nice male bird if i can eventually end up with some nice healthy barred rock bantams...or what would i get with this mating...please only answer if you really know what you are talking about ,and no guessing....thanks

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't know, and I won't guess... so I'll just bump you up. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    depends what's under the white, might need more that 2 generations to clean the barring.

4. rdish50

Jan 24, 2009
    connellsville,pa.
    the chicks from last years mating were smoky white when hatched

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    then your white is dominant white, you'll need another generation to breed it out.

6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    As stated, the Barred Rock is the original of the varieties. This is the foundation the others would use as a springboard from which to vault themselves into prominence. The next variety to be bred would be the White. Some early literature suggests the first known strain of the White Plymouth Rock was, in fact, a strain of albinos bred from Barreds. In 1884, a Mr. Frost of Maine advertised White Rocks, and such was the case. Apparently, not all chicks carried this trait, and the strain soon disappeared. Other White breeds were crossed with the Barreds, and by 1910, White Rocks were prominent features at both shows and on farms. The creators had achieved the proper type as seen in the Barreds, and their destiny as one of the most popular exhibition and commercial breeds had begun.

The other part of my answer disappeared.
    So short answer , it would be easier to get more barred rocks.

7. rdish50

Jan 24, 2009
    connellsville,pa.
    well ,thanks for all the info everyone....it is very much appreciated!

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Actually in recent years the White Rocks have become much more popular than the Barreds. As a result it's a lot easier to find good Whites than it is to find good Barreds. In fact good Barreds are pretty hard to find. Some breeders have been using the cross you're proposing to improve the type of their Barreds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by