crossing barred rocks with others....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bmiss, Nov 23, 2011.

1. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    i'm wanting to get sum "country chickens" that will never be taken to a show...but they will provide eggs and eventually meat.

i would like to have a variety..... and i love the way the barred rocks look. if you were gonna cross with a barred rocks, what type of birds would you cross with it?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, the nice thing about barred rock hens is if you put them under a nonbarred rooster, the offspring are sex-linked. The males will have a white headspot and grow up barred, the females will have a solid head and grow up non-barred. Bonus! I've seen some buff orp roo over barred rock hen pics on here--search around-- and they're very pretty hens and great layers from what I hear.

3. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Not all nonbarred roosters will make it a sex-link! ... im no expert but i think the rooster has to have a red gene.... (RIR, BO, NH...)

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Incorrect. You are thinking about red sexlinks, which require a red male and a silver female. This thread is about black sex-links, where barring is the sex-linked gene, not silver/gold. For black sex-links you need a barred female and a non-barred male.

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by