1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crossing Black Australorp Rooster x Splash Orpington Hen = All Blue chicks???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Papa Mel, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Papa Mel

Papa Mel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2010
    North Georgia
    If you were to breed a Black Australorp Rooster to a Splash Orpington Hen would you get all blue chicks?
    Splash + Black = Blue (Australorp, Orpington cross)

1 person likes this.
  2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I crossed a splash rooster with australorp hens and got 25% blue the rest were black.

1 person likes this.
  3. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    If you cross a splash with black, you should get all blue. chickened, are you certain the "splash" you used wasn't in fact blue? That would explain the ratio you got. I have pictures on my profile of two Jersey Giants, a splash male and a blue female for comparison.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You will get all blue chicks. If you select for correct type, you could possibly show them as Australorps, or just continue your own line of BBS Australorps.

5. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    My splash rooster is a little darker than your JG and I was surprised to get so many blacks myself. I will see if I can find a photo of him.

6. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    [​IMG]
    This was the cock and the hen was a hatchery australorp. What color do I really have?

7. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)

8. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Well, after reviewing my records I was wrong I collected some eggs from this pen without waiting for the previous roosters juice to fade and that is where the pure australorps came from. I did get some blue birds and my bet is they were from this guy. I culled the roosters at hatch so that is why I only got 2 hens and 7 black hens. oops [​IMG]

9. Teva

Teva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Shelton, WA
    So what would I get if I crossed a Buff Orpington rooster with a Black Australorp hen?

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Black birds with buff/orange-tan on the head and neck. The buff could go onto the breast and back of the hens-it depends on the genetics of the blacks.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by