Crossing Blue Ameraucanas with Blue Wheaten

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BayChicks, Sep 18, 2009.

1. BayChicks

BayChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Reedville
    What are the possibilities? Bad idea?
    Kim

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have any perticular reason for wanting to do this? It won't do any favours to the colours.

A birds which are all blue, rarely carry wheaten genes. The chances are that one would lose melanisers & have offspring with leakage.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    bad idea.....

What was the thinking behind doing this cross?

4. BayChicks

BayChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Reedville
    Just a hypothetical question - my son will have both of these varieties soon and he's trying to plan breeding pens. We've only done buff and blue/black/splash varieties of birds before, so this will be new to us.
    Thanks for the info.
    Kim

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    The genetics are totally separate and different. Crossing them will simply result in an EE.

God Bless,

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    You could produce some blacks from the cross but it would take at least two generations to get clean black birds. I would not be a good route to produce more wheaten. I know some people are working on a black gold variety. I do not think that wheaten would be a good E locus to use with the black gold; so given your inexperience at breeding that would not be a good idea. I think the brown reds would be better for working toward black gold.

Black would be a variety that you could work on to get some breeding experience. You can cross wheaten to blue wheaten that is ok. Do not cross blue wheaten to blue wheaten it will produce some splash wheaten which is not a recognized variety. You can use the splash wheaten on wheaten to produce blue wheaten.

Tim

7. AmeraucanaLuver

AmeraucanaLuver Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2009
    But when u cross a blue with a wheaten dont u get a blue wheaten?[​IMG] if thats what u want id do it u can always sell the chicks if u dont want them.[​IMG][​IMG]:jumpy

8. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Quote:No no! Blue and Blue Wheaten are two different color varieties within the breed. Krys may jump in here with the exact genetics, but trust me, they are NOT the same at all. Blue is actually Self Blue (which is the Lavender gene I think.) I know it's confusing (why they call Lav blue I dunno.)

The blue in Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas is the Andalusian Blue gene, and so will express like this (numbers are approximate, your results may vary slightly):

Wheaten x Wheaten = 100% Wheaten.

Wheaten x Blue Wheaten = 50% Wheaten, 50% Blue Wheaten.

Blue Wheaten x Blue Wheaten = 50% Blue Wheaten, 25% Wheaten and 25% Splash Wheaten.

Splash Wheaten x Wheaten = 100% Blue Wheaten.

Splash Wheaten x Blue Wheaten = 50% Splash Wheaten and 50% Blue Wheaten

Splash Wheaten x Splash Wheaten = 100% Splash Wheaten.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Laura that was great... I'm gonna have to buy some chicks from Jean so I can get a blue wheaten roo.

10. pocopoyo

pocopoyo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2008
    Blue wheatons were originally made by crossing blues with wheatons. After that some breeders spent many years cleaning up the blue wheaton color so that now it is comparable to wheatons in color and type.
    To cross wheatons and blues now would be step back and the offspring would not meet the quality standard of either parent.

This could be an educational breeding project if someone wanted to learn what happens when these color crosses are made. It may take a few years to segregate the colors back out and cleaned them up. Don't hatch too many as there is not much value in the offspring except as pet quality birds.

The blue variety in Ameraucana is the same as the Andalusion Blue color and has the same Black/Blue/Splash offspring pattern as expected for this color. There are some breeders working on Lavender as a separate variety.

POCO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by