Crossing Blue and Buff

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
I have heard not to cross the Blue Americans and Buff Americans.

So what happens if you do? What color would the offspring be? That "blue" in Americans, which is not actually blue, it's gray. is not a dilution on black like the blue in chickens and ducks. Isn't it a dilution on that buff color? There isn't any other color in Americans, is there? So it would have to be a dilution on the buff.

If it is a dilution on the buff, and you crossed blues with buffs, wouldn't you get a mixture of blue and buff goslings?

I am not sure. maybe do a test hatch?
hu.gif

I'm really not sure. But I do know that if you breed a Lavendar Ice and American Blue together you will get a 50% of Lavendar Ice and 50% of American Blue.
I wander if it is the same for the Buff?

Hi

Im in the UK but to my knowledge the American Blue does carry the Blue gene and is not a Dilute.

If mated together then the following should result;

Blue male x Buff female = 50% Blue and 50% Grey, sexes in equal ratios but all males will be split for Buff.

Buff male x Blue female = 25% Blue male (split for Buff), 25% Grey male (split for Buff), 25% Lilac female, 25% Buff female.

Blue is an autosomal partially dominant gene and Buff is a recessive sex linked gene.

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
Hi Pete-
I have American Geese and was wondering what I would get from a lavender male and buff female cross?
Visited your BYC page, beautiful birds, Look forward to your article in PP.

Hi KrisRose

If you breeder a Lavander Male (assuming its homozygous for the Blue gene and not split for Buff) to a Buff female then you'll get;

100% Blue offspring but all the male will be split for Buff.

Pete
wink.png

If Buff is sex-linked, how does it work with having an entire "breed" of Buffs? I guess when you mix it's just stick with one sex. Like Chocolates in Anconas, hmm?

Hi

Im in the UK but to my knowledge the American Blue does carry the Blue gene and is not a Dilute.

If  mated together then the following should result;

Blue male x Buff female = 50% Blue and 50% Grey, sexes in equal ratios but all males will be split for Buff.

Buff male x Blue female = 25% Blue male (split for Buff), 25% Grey male (split for Buff), 25% Lilac female, 25% Buff female.

Blue is an autosomal partially dominant gene and Buff is a recessive sex linked gene.

Pete /img/smilies/wink.png

Hello, just jumping in here.... What do you mean when you say the males will be split for buff? Sorry new the chicken world and curious about this topic. I have a beautiful blue cochin cockerel and buff cochin pullet. Wondering what I would get from their eggs. And does this mean I would be able to sex them at hatch? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom