Crossing Blue and Buff

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Oregon Blues, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I have heard not to cross the Blue Americans and Buff Americans.

So what happens if you do? What color would the offspring be? That "blue" in Americans, which is not actually blue, it's gray. is not a dilution on black like the blue in chickens and ducks. Isn't it a dilution on that buff color? There isn't any other color in Americans, is there? So it would have to be a dilution on the buff.

If it is a dilution on the buff, and you crossed blues with buffs, wouldn't you get a mixture of blue and buff goslings?

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I am not sure. maybe do a test hatch? [​IMG]

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I'm really not sure. But I do know that if you breed a Lavendar Ice and American Blue together you will get a 50% of Lavendar Ice and 50% of American Blue.
    I wander if it is the same for the Buff?

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Im in the UK but to my knowledge the American Blue does carry the Blue gene and is not a Dilute.

If mated together then the following should result;

Blue male x Buff female = 50% Blue and 50% Grey, sexes in equal ratios but all males will be split for Buff.

Buff male x Blue female = 25% Blue male (split for Buff), 25% Grey male (split for Buff), 25% Lilac female, 25% Buff female.

Blue is an autosomal partially dominant gene and Buff is a recessive sex linked gene.

Pete [​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Thanks, Pete.

6. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Quote:Hi Pete-
    I have American Geese and was wondering what I would get from a lavender male and buff female cross?
    Visited your BYC page, beautiful birds, Look forward to your article in PP.

7. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi KrisRose

If you breeder a Lavander Male (assuming its homozygous for the Blue gene and not split for Buff) to a Buff female then you'll get;

100% Blue offspring but all the male will be split for Buff.

Pete [​IMG]

8. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Quote:Thanks!

9. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    If Buff is sex-linked, how does it work with having an entire "breed" of Buffs? I guess when you mix it's just stick with one sex. Like Chocolates in Anconas, hmm?

10. MarinR

MarinR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    NH

Hello, just jumping in here.... What do you mean when you say the males will be split for buff? Sorry new the chicken world and curious about this topic. I have a beautiful blue cochin cockerel and buff cochin pullet. Wondering what I would get from their eggs. And does this mean I would be able to sex them at hatch? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by